• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Find Starboard M a bike!

about 4 years ago I took a class and they passed me and got me a card to take to DMV (Washington State). Went in and they got me my license. Now they do not allow the instructors to pass out those cards in this State.

I am gonna get my license this summer. Then I think I am gonna put a down payment on something brand new... lol then drive that in the summer, and Jeep in the winter.

Sorry I haven't been around too much , can't see how I missed this thread ....

Motorcycles find themselves in your blood stream real quick , I being raised on
two wheels its been part of my DNA to ride free "man".

In my experience its been good knowledge that any of the 80's JAP bikes were all good ,
good for learner bikes , gas milage , dependability and price .

I've owned 3 CB 750's several rockets and a VT500 , three of them still in my garage ( ones I cant bring myself to sell ).
One can argue all day about brand or quality but the one thing that matters is how do you fit the bike .

Can you handle what the bike can do ? Also for what real purpose is the bike going to be used for . I.E. recreational , pure transport , cross country riding ? Every bike manufacturer makes a bike for these specific purposes . Each one engineered and designed to fill that specific need .

Race bikes are great for that thrill , that excitement of pure race bred power at your fingertips but they aren't very comfortable
for long term riding and they hold nothing , so you'll need a backpack and a job to pay the insurance .

Choppers and standard frame cruisers are just that , cruisers . Made for long and short term riding for just about any occasion .
You can also do allot to these bikes like dresser bags and heated seats , navigation systems , stereos anything you can think of has already been done . The problem with cruisers is that they have been built to resemble an era in motorcycling history going
back to the 1950's with the start of the Hells Angels . Sad really that haven't changed very much with the tech in the last 20 years . Cruisers are just now getting upgrades that sport bikes have had for twenty years or more . However a weeks worth of pay takes care of the insurance for a whole year . Thats why I have one of those too ...

Enduro bikes have a special market , it was one of the first bikes to break the mold on what a bike is supposed to do . These bikes are made for a blend of on / off-road riding , short or long term riding and some even have the power of a sport bike
Like the new inline six BMW enduro that puts out about the same power as a moto GP 600 and looks like a dirt bike ??>>>???
The only real problem with enduro's is they look goofy as hell and you got to be tall enough to ride them , they have some of the tallest stances out any of the other bikes .

So all in all just go buy one and ride the crap out of it , you'll find your own personal preference soon enough .
Like me I have to have both a cruiser bobber , a Cafe' bike and a 160+ HP liter class race bike .

Thats when my wife cut me off and 86'ed me from CL .....:badpc:

no way in hell its worth buying new....not a chance.

Agreed , all three bikes in my garage are still less than the cost of one new bike . The insurance is also more expensive if you don't own the title .

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a 10-15 year old bike , you'll find
allot of bike mechanics including myself sometimes prefer working on old carb
bikes instead of these new fuel injected computer controlled ( and limited ) bikes .

ill still argue that one of the best bikes ive ever ridden was a CBRF4....
carbbed 600, single seat, great power and one of the best "all around" bikes that is still a killer "crotch rocket" can be had for 2k all day

Still got one of those too .... Yoshi matched header and cam kit ( full race), DID shaved chain and sprockets , -2 +1 gears , tuned carbs and intake made that bike about 10 sec in a 1/4 strip .

That 99" F4 is only about a half second slower than my 929RR in the 1/4 mile but the 929 straight smokes the 6 in and above 100 mph , although the roll on with the F4 is the best power to the wheel I've
ever had , making the F4 one of the best all time stunt bikes . Maybe thats why I can't sell it ....

no way in hell its worth buying new....not a chance.
Im glad Im not the only one who thinks that.

Im hopefully going to look at a couple Susuki GS750L tomorrow. Dont like the look of the L version (ape hangers and an odd looking second seat), but new bars and a cafe seat will fix that. Need to convince the owners that a 30 year old bike thats been dropped, has slight surface rust, and has dings and dents all over isnt worth $1200.

The GS was a good bike but every bike is dependent on condition , being dropped is a big red flag , any rust or dents in the bike are costly to fix , also any parts that the bike will need
are an absolute fortune now a days at the parts stores .

Be sure to add the cost of any parts like brakes and tires , most people don't take good care
of chains and sprockets or even know you have to oil them frequently .

Rust is a sure sign for neglect , no telling what's inside the tank . Have them pop the key on the tank and check it first . A tank reseal or a new tank can cost about 400 - 500 bucks right there . Most of the older 80's bikes have that same problem .

My VT500 did and its taken me a month to finnish it without costing 500 for a new tank .
DSC02209.jpg

DSC02211.jpg

I've got allot more done on it but haven't uploaded them yet ...

Im not all that concerned about looks, especially since I would like to make a pseudo cafe racer. Dont people pay more for patina?

Im going into this realizing that I would be buying a 30 year old bike, and I will have to do some work to it. I can handle some cosmetic issues, and some minor mechanical issues. I wish I had all my tools here in CO so I could fix most things. :(

Back