• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got a cage

Silverstreak01 said:
How Much?

Costs vary depending on what you want to have done. My price was heavily negotiated over some exotic brew :party:

Btw, the adapters (or whatever those gismos are called) that allow for the cage to be removeable run $35 each. 6 were used, that's about $230 with shipping and tax already. Add to that labour, tubing and it can get up there.

Weasel said:
pipe insulation is probably better then nothing but I wouldn't use it, the racing pipe foam is much better, although if a bare noggin hits either hard it's going to hurt.

Oh yeah, looks good, how does it bolt together?

If you look at pic 6 you will see the black head of a bolt that holds the gismo that allows for it to be removeable. It's a solid piece that bolts together with two bolts and welds into the tubing. Damn things run $35 each!! Also as soon as Dan uploads his pics he'll probably post them and you can see the separate parts and the cage being unbolted and out of the vehicle.

5150xj said:
Looks good Remi,
Does everything still work and is accesable? Like glove box, does rear seat still fold up and down? I notice you had to loose the visors. How about some pictures looking in from the side doors?

Because it's a newer style body and interior the glove box is not an issue: it doesn't go all the way across in the front and the leg doesn't interfere with it.
There is no interference from the doors but I did loose the ability to move my foot over to the left away from the clutch pedal. Now I have to pull it back when I don't want it sitting on it.

The rear seat can still fold up and down, but I don't have all the seat piece sin to demonstrate it.

The visor is a big thing: I'll have to make soemthing as driving towards rising sun got REALLY bad, but the way the cage sits it does allow to get the halo all the way up towards the front into the headliner.

Lincoln said:
It can happen much easier than you realize.

Roll that box over and look at the preasure points. At some point all of the weight will be on one corner.
Hmm, I still think that the corner pressure is taken care of: might end up building a small mockup model and see what makes it tick :D

I don't agree with all the talk that you have to have the cross braces to have a cage that will hold up. But they are not that much work to put in and in a 4-door they aren't that obtrusive. It's worth the few extra dollars to put in.
I agree: the extra cost if needed should never be avoided, especially when looking at the amount of money we dump into the rigs as it is. In any case the extra brace was not omitted due to cost.

Anyways, I'll see how things go: I might end up adding it in the near future.

Kejtar said:
Hmm, I still think that the corner pressure is taken care of: might end up building a small mockup model and see what makes it tick :D
just put in some goddamn triangulation.

a diagonal or x across the b-pillar area is the only way.

nothing is "taken care of' until you do this.

there is no substitute

Kejtar said:
Thanks I'll look into them

You can also weld in a small tab so you can reuse your original visors. YJ's are basically the same as the CJ's too.
78126-09.jpg

Lincoln said:
Are they the poly performance clamps?

image.php

Different company, but I think they might be identical. I don't remember the numbers but the clamp is rated a lot higher then the tubing when it comes to strength.

Lincoln said:
I gots to have me some of those. Super sweetness. Though they aren't scheduled to ship until 2010.

Make sure to specifiy the black oxide finish for the ultimate in rust prevention.

NOTE: "Black oxide is currently on back order due to vendor problems. Should be available by year-end"

MaXJohnson said:
Make sure to specifiy the black oxide finish for the ultimate in rust prevention.

NOTE: "Black oxide is currently on back order due to vendor problems. Should be available by year-end"

My order was declined.

Weasel said:
Someone else makes pretty much the same clamp as the one showen above. They have lots of bolt on cages for TJ, ect, can't remember the name.

???Rockhard4x4.com??? They have a bolt in XJ cage as well as TJ, YJ, CJ. They use clamps similar to the ones you guys are posting pics of.

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/cherokeexj.htm

What do you guys think of their cage? Any good? Enough strength?
Troy

Big Red said:
???Rockhard4x4.com??? They have a bolt in XJ cage as well as TJ, YJ, CJ. They use clamps similar to the ones you guys are posting pics of.
actually those clamps are way different, plus that weird front leg support is kind of scary

Back