• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FINALLY FOUND OIL LEAK

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
After a new (but cooler looking) valve cover, distributor, oil filter o rings, sending unit, etc, etc... My leak is coming from the oil dip stick tube, somewhere. It hoses down the heater valve and the side of the head and block. Doubtful a cracked head or block as motor runs very well.

When running under pressure (above 50mph) it seems to blow out from either UP the fill tube, or the base, or a crack somewhere on the tube itself.

Anyone ever change one???

Also (remember new valve cover and CCV elbows)what could cause the check tube to spew?? Eagle, Martin, anyone??

Thanks guys,

Last edited:
Could be your dip stick is bad, that plug around the stick is supposed to seal and does go and if your CCV is partially blocked could be buidling up pressure enough to force it out.. I know that if I pulled the dipstick on my troopers 4cyl when it was running my shirt would be covered with oil in about 8 seconds flat..it would spit out like sprayer.

First thing I'd do is to pull out the dipstick and plug the top of the tube. That should tell you very quickly if the leak is in the tube.

You mentioned new CCV elbows, but did you get a new CCV tube as well? They can cake up inside just like arteries full of bacon fat.

Changing a dipstick tube is easy. Follow the tube down, there's usually one bolt somewhere along it. Remove that bolt, then twist it back and forth while pulling. It'll slide right out. Reverse the procedure to install.

tm999xxx said:
me too...Any luck on fixing it?? I can hear the pressure hissing out when i pull the dipstick while idling...

That pressure should not be there, it's a result of a plugged CCV system, either the hoses, elbows or the pickup in the back of the top of the valve cover.
Remove the valve cover and clean it out, replace the hoses, not worth cleaning and see what happens.

Back