• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally finished my 3 link write-up...

Nice technical contribution to the forum-Well documented and informative -Will serve as the basis for my 3-link longarm setup useing 1.75 DOM tubeing-Welds look pretty impressive-Don't know how much it will cost but in my personal case I'll be going to some local welding professional to do those critical welds on the 1.75 DOM tube-I just don't trust myself or my Miller welding machine to get that necessary good hot welding pentration-Good advice on paying particular attention on just where to locate those grease fitting-( I still don't know where to locate them,..up..down.., sideways )-On that crossmember I understand vaguely ,that it is important to have some type of "frame-rail" re-enforcement with maybe about five bolts total supporting the weight of the transfer case and longarm mounts,..two going though the side and three on the bottom-I was wondering if you had any comments or suggestions about the benefits or disadvantages of trying to do welds on the XJ thin gauge sheet metal "frame rails" I have done some not so pretty welds with "burn thoughs" and cold welds,..undercutting and am haveing second thoughts about the procedure-TIA
bxj

Billy, for the link mounts, I'm using 3/16" thick 3" box tube which has an inside diameter of 2 5/8". Is that what you used? In you're write-up you mentioned you were using .120" thick tubing. Also, it's hard to tell from the pics, but did you use the upper-upper link hole for 7.5" of seperation, or the lower hole?

Thanks for another great write-up!

Billy, for the link mounts, I'm using 3/16" thick 3" box tube which has an inside diameter of 2 5/8". Is that what you used? In you're write-up you mentioned you were using .120" thick tubing. Also, it's hard to tell from the pics, but did you use the upper-upper link hole for 7.5" of seperation, or the lower hole?

Thanks for another great write-up!

Hey Isreal,

You're right! Thanks for catching that. It is 3" x 3" x 3/16" box.

And I ended up using the lower hole for the upper (6" of vertical separation).

Thanks for the props everyone,
Billy

That looks a lot like the URF Racing 3 link setup from way back.
Nice writeup!

-Dan

Yeah, lucky for me the patent office has been backed up for years.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Billy

Hey Isreal,

You're right! Thanks for catching that. It is 3" x 3" x 3/16" box.

And I ended up using the lower hole for the upper (6" of vertical separation).

Thanks for the props everyone,
Billy

Sweet. I'm planning on a 3 link similar to yours so it's good to have measurements that have worked well for others.

Back