• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

field tranny cooler line fix

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
so, I got in a hurry the other day while putting my transmission back in and broke the plastic quick disconnect piece on the tranny cooler line. I called AZ and they said that they stopped carrying that peice like a month ago.:gag:

so, I decided that I needed it fixed that night, so I got creative and this is what I came up with:

Materials needed: a soda bottle cap, 1-1.5' baling wire, a rigid rod of some sort (I used half a peice of welding rod, you could use a stick or what have you.)
tools: I did it with only a Gerber multitool, all you'd need is a knife, and some pliers
picture.php

Take the bottle cap, cut it in half leaving a lip around the top as a spacer for the cap going into the area where the quick disconnect is supposed to be, and cut/break/somehowmake your rod peice to be about 3 inches long
picture.php

shove your cooler line into the it's normal hole as far as it will go, wrap the bottle cap around the cooler line and shove it into the space for the quick disconnect. then route the baling wire around the cooler line and tie it off somewhere behind and up from the cooler line. Last, take your 3" rod and put it in the loop of wire between the cooler line and where it's tied off and twist it around a couple times. this will take up any extra slack and tighten the line into it's seat.

picture.php

I know, I know, it seems pretty rediculous, but I did it about a month ago and imediately afterward drove it to San Diego and back, about a 120 mile round trip, and it didn't leak a bit. I've been off roading with it, pretty hard, and put probably 1k miles with it, and still no leaks.:cool:

I'd junkyard up a replacement line (just did that actually, my tranny cooler line was so badly rusted I was afraid it would break in half when I manhandled it replacing my radiator) and put it in before that thing pops back out. It does look like a useful thing to know for those times when you get stranded though... cool!

I just bought two of those plastic things with teh steel art that threads into the transmission from Advance. They didn't have in stock and had to order it, but they can get it.

yeah, I checked online, and it's available. I've just been rediculously busy th last several days (and I forgot that it was even like that til I was under it a few days ago).

Back