• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few 8.8 Swap Questions

Sounds a lot like the center pin or a c-clip issue, yeah. I'd bet that the bearings are riding on a crappy section of the shaft when the shaft slides the wrong way, and howling. Luckily a new center pin will cost you a whopping $10 at the JY most likely, and the retention bolts are $6 for a bag of 3 at the dealer, if you end up needing one. Make sure you use a 5/16" 6 point wrench (not a socket, too much off-axis torque unless you're way better than I am) on the retention bolt, NOT an 8mm or a 12 point of any sort!

(don't ask!)

thanks again for the help man youve given me alot of good info! I will post what I come across tommorow... btw everything for the swap went smooth for the most part and the braking kicks ass! same with having alot more power again!

The axles have a fair amount of play in them when everything is fine. There is about 1/8 to 3/16" that the axles themselves slide in and out with the center pin and c-clip installed.

Measure the movement. The inner pad of the caliper is the one that moves in/out with the piston (which is why the axle is allowed to move, it makes up for the loss of brake pad thickness and rotor wear when worn). If it moves enough to max out the travel in the "inward" direction, and you have worn brake pads then you have more than a missing c-clip problem.

I'm betting however you have the normal amount of play.

i didn't see where you mentioned it, if you did... but is this a junkyard axle? happen to take a look and see how many miles were on the donor if so? might be one of the reasons it ended up there :dunno: did you tear it down and make sure all the bearings and such were in good shape, or just do a fluid swap and throw it under the Jeep?

it is a junkyard axle and no Im not sure of the mileage unfortunatly..... grimm you could be correct I had the cover off and inspected all of the gears in which they seem to show no signs of any major wear... however i visualy looked at the bearings and have not really checked em... which is what I will do tommorow..

So I pulled the cover today and did a quick visual inspection before work... the center pin moves in and out a slight amount..... the axle shafts do have about 1/2 in of movement however it seems the c clips and fine and are in the right spot... does something go between the clip and spider to keep a little pressure on it?

nope

There were thin (about tin-can thickness) pieces of metal between the carrier and the backs of the spiders on mine, but I think that was more as a bushing/for lubrication than for spacing.

I pulled the axles today to find the c clips were worn a bit as well as the coating was gone on the center pin in spots as well as the bolt hole in it was oblonged quiet a bit.... think I can just replace the center pin, bolt, and c clips? The rear seemes not to have too much backlash but it has some as I understand its supposed to.... Spiders and gears dont seem to have excessive wear though. Also axle bearings and seals look to be fine...

yes - you can replace that stuff easily. Spiders and cross shafts and whatnot don't have the same kind of setup accuracy requirements as R&P sets, just throw a new set (even from the junkyard) in and never look back.

I'd bet you can get the C clips, cross shaft, and retention bolt for less than 15 dollars at a junkyard. Are you sure the slots the C clips ride in on the axleshafts aren't excessively worn? I'd personally check that while it's apart.

yes - you can replace that stuff easily. Spiders and cross shafts and whatnot don't have the same kind of setup accuracy requirements as R&P sets, just throw a new set (even from the junkyard) in and never look back.

I'd bet you can get the C clips, cross shaft, and retention bolt for less than 15 dollars at a junkyard. Are you sure the slots the C clips ride in on the axleshafts aren't excessively worn? I'd personally check that while it's apart.

I didnt even think to look at this I will tommorow If I get a chance to swing by my shop....

Back