• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender trimin party!!

Neil said:
Well I'm running about 6" and have plans for 8" so there needs to be a lot of trimming! So far all I have cut is the rear of the front fenders and bent over the pinch seam in the same area. I am going to have contact with the fenders off road I know, all I want to do is minimize the dammage for now. Thanks for the tip on the spot welds, I would have cut them right off! Oh yea, are you sure that you can't get by with small relief cuts in the hood?

I run 38.5" x 14.50 TSL SX's on 8" of lift and it flexes fine (to the tune of 960 on a 30 degree ramp :eek: ) So you should be able to do 35's at 6" no problem

In back I used some 1/8" cut off wheel for my 4.5" angle grinder - made slits as described and went to town with a BFH (I also added length to the rear wheel well with the back 3/4 of an inner wheel well from a boneyard XJ)

Up front I used the same method of slitting and pounding the seam - with jig saw use (24 tpi blade) on the actual fender...

I rubs on the fender top, coil tower, air box and battery bulge at full stuff up front, and out back it rubs on the fender top (they act like bumpstops) and the inner wheelwell wall...

Here you can see with a tiny little 33" bogger how much room there is to be had :eek:

ride_height1.jpg

Just start cutting :D

Matt

If you want really nice cuts you might consider an air body saw (if you already have a compressor). You can get them at Harbor Freight for $35. I have used mine for sheet metal and fender flares. I'm almost done with my xj trim'n and its looking real good. The saw makes short nice work of cj and yjs (I've done a couple). You will break and wear out blades but they are cheap.

Back