• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faster Power Windows

smartazz19

NAXJA Forum User
I know its out there. Im looking for the write-up to make your power windows go up faster. It was wiring upgrade to speed them up after years of corrossion to the wires. If anybody has a link, please let me know. Search came up empty. Thanks

Well for my own experience my power windows started working faster after they quit all-together...

... let me explain...

The wire bundle that goes f/the drivers side door back into/under the dash where the door pivots finally wore out the wires and they got brittle enough and finally just split. I pulled the door catch pin out so I could get my door open a bit farther, but the rubber protective 'sleeve' in a nice straight line and exposed the wires. Found 3 wires that had split all-together and another 3 or 4 that had the protective rubber coating rubbed 1/2 way off. I spliced the wires back together and taped up the exposed wires. One of the main wires that had split in 1/2 w/the big black ground wire and then one of the main power wires.

After I got it all back together and wired up... the windows worked fantastically... even worked when the drivers side door was open (something they hadn't done since I purchased the XJ used about 4 yrs prior to this fix). The roll up and down about 2 to 3 times faster than before. Must be I was REALLY loosing most of the voltage and ground to my windows.

Just something you might check. It's really an easy fix once you get into the wires. You can't miss if something is wrong.

Good luck.

On a hunch I jumped the power and grounds for my windows with my drivers side power seats (Renix). In effect almost doubled the size of the wires. I'm thinking I have a fuzzy connector in the window circuit someplace that I haven't found yet, that's messing with the feed.
I also periodically grease the coils (chain) form my windows. Clean and silicon the window guides. And check to see that the rubber extensions on the coil (chain) guides are still connected and routed properly.
The only problem with my mod is only the drivers side windows go up faster, the passenger side windows still go up in slow motion, though some better than before.

^i was gonna say, short of rewiring, you should spray some silicone lube into the window tracks and coat the middle track with white lithium grease

you can pick both of these up at AutoZone and they really help...

Back