• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch who makes a good one

FWIW, I read an earlier post from a person who used a thermo-switch purchased, I think, from autozone that can be mounted externally and can be adjusted to a range of temperatures, depending on when you want it to come on. Perhaps the person who posted could chime in with the specifics. It sounded like they had really good luck with this configuration. -Rick

Yes thought when I got the belt problem worked out I would get the temp switch from autozone for @$40 bucks... but since the A/C has "issues" right now I thought I could handle it till next year.... belt is fine until I turn on the A/C so it has to be belt wrap and I don't know how to fix that.

JC95

I've been thinking this for a little while after my last post. The ECU doesn't measure nor does it care what the temperature of the fluid inside the radiator is. The termostat opens, closes, and regulates flow based on the temperature of the fluid coming out of the engine. Both temperature sensors ( back and front of block ) reference the temperature coming out of the engine also.

When converting to an electric fan as a primary fan, why not connect it so that it runs once the engine is running? It'll keep your temps low and may also help with better cooling of the transmission fluid.

Also, when having an electric fan, don't you get better gas mileage due to a reduced mechanical load on the engine?

I have read that doing this does not provide with only advantages. The first issue is yes you are freeing mechanical energy fromthe engine thus gaining a few horsies, but you are now asking for electrical energy thus requiring the alternator to run under load for much more time thus costing you heat and more load.

To the person who said the ecu doesnt care about the radiator temp, i dont understand your point but the engine comp does care about all temps as it uses them at the basic level for combustion ratios..etc and additionally to turn on the aux fan incase of a temp of 220F+ is reached.

All in all whats the advantage of an electric fan over the mechanical clutch - ? Atleast i dont see one very aplicaple in a jeep. I have seen many jeepers heat up under load bc of the efans. Additionally i think for the price of a good electric fan is the same cost as a oem fan clutch from the dealer (110$).

At the moment i am having cooling issues and i think the majority of the probs are due to the carquest fan clutch..i have oredered a oem mopar one and will see if it helps nd is better than those 3rd party ones.

my .05 cents
pete

I attempted using an adjustable t-stat for fan control and did not like it. I instead wired it in the stock fan and all is copacetic.

jeepcherokee95:
Are you sure the belt is tight enough? Most people assume that they've got the belt tight when it is not nearly as tight as it should be. Most parts stores should have a loaner gauge. Also, I did a lot of research for this mod. I believe that the taurus fan is over 4 inches deep and may cause some clearance problems. I decided against it before I even knew I would have to end up shaving the mount for the stock fan.

Calata:
I have not taken meticulous mileage notes, but I'd say I probably gained about .5 mpg. The biggest difference isn't in power or mileage......my xj is now in stealth mode when under load and the fan isn't on :) That all goes to pot once it turns on though since it is louder than a stock clutch fan.

Well guys the mopar cooling clutch came in and i installed it the other day and boy can i tell you that their is a big difference between it and the carquest one. First of all this once actually makes a woosh woosh noise on start up and then gets less noisy as the engine gets warm. On idle my jeep just barely goes above the mid line and usually for a moment..I picked up the fan clutch from newmoparparts.com for 105$ shipped if anyones is interested in the part number also let me know..I hope it continues this way ---i guess i will know in a few days of driving.

pete

we did a good mod on my brother 93 zj we got a hayden extreme duty clutch that just did cut the mustard down here w/ 100+ ambient in traffic situations so we took the thermal control and indexed it to its maximum effect setting and worlds difference. he can now run the A/C in traffic and still stays below 200°F on my stroked 1990 xj we ended up having to do a fan clutch eliminator (originally used for a 454 big block vette) so it easily handles the stock xj fan. no belt squeals (up to 5k rpm) and didn't even tighten the belt.

I'm about to get a new fan clutch and I am wondering if there are any more opinions on what brand to get. I think I'll go with the mopar but it is going to cost me around $135 or I could go with the $32 Hayden from Checker.

Redcbr007 said:
Pulled fan clutch out, got the drill press....drilled a hole right through the center of it. Placed a bolt throught it, and spot welded the nut/bolt. No vibes, just cool.....

Not a DD by-the-way

-Red
Did that a long time ago, installed two bolts and selflocking nuts to maintain balance and it worked great. I think it was on a AMC Eagle.

spyder47 said:
we did a good mod on my brother 93 zj we got a hayden extreme duty clutch that just did cut the mustard down here w/ 100+ ambient in traffic situations so we took the thermal control and indexed it to its maximum effect setting and worlds difference. he can now run the A/C in traffic and still stays below 200°F
Interesting, anyone have any more info on how to do this? Can it be done on an OEM fan clutch?

I have a newer OEM fan clutch and it works pretty well, but I'm interested in this because it does go a little past 210 when stuck in bad traffic on really hot days. Never much past 210, but I don't like seeing it there. The OEM one works a hell of a lot better than that POS Carquest one did.

Atl XJ said:
Interesting, anyone have any more info on how to do this? Can it be done on an OEM fan clutch?
So I was looking at my fan clutch earlier trying to figure out what you were talking about, did you reposition the spring on it?

I installed a NAPA fan clutch about 6 months ago in my '94. I have yet to hear it come on. I'll be replacing it with a Mopar in spring. Thankyou for the Mopar website. The dealers around my neck of the woods charge MSRP because they can. Last time I checked it was over $200 which is why I went with NAPA.

Last edited:
spyder47 said:
we did a good mod on my brother 93 zj we got a hayden extreme duty clutch that just did cut the mustard down here w/ 100+ ambient in traffic situations so we took the thermal control and indexed it to its maximum effect setting and worlds difference. he can now run the A/C in traffic and still stays below 200°F on my stroked 1990 xj we ended up having to do a fan clutch eliminator (originally used for a 454 big block vette) so it easily handles the stock xj fan. no belt squeals (up to 5k rpm) and didn't even tighten the belt.

What is the model number for the hayden extreme duty fan clutch? Is the indexing of the thermal control a special feature of this model clutch or can you do that to all fan clutches? Thanks.

I got the Imperial fan clutch from Advance Auto. Luckily I didn't get the Hayden brand (they sell both) after hearing some of you talk about it.....in a negative way :worship:

Back