• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch into Rad? WTF

Localgod11

NAXJA Forum User
Was out driving around today and noticed some belt noise, took a look under the hood an noticed coolant being thrown around me engine bay!

After closer inspection the mech fan clutch has worn a hole in my rad and the rad strap is GONE.

Any idea what could have moved or shifted that would have allowed the clutch to hit the rad? I can seem to find any slop but it must be there!

Don't just check the mounts.
Check the brackets on the engine block they hang off too.
You ma have broken mount block brackets.
3 bolts on driver and passenger.
Tighten all six.
If those bolts work loose they shear and the bracket comes off.

After mine snapped on a trail and I cut off the fan shroud to let the fan spin (except when I hit a bump and a lovely rattling sound came and went while the fan destroyed my rad some more) , I noticed my dizzy was resting on the uniframe, taking all the weight of a blown mount block bracket. Drove home with the passenger side of the engine being supported by the bottom of the dizzy and sometimes my front axle (no ratchet straps on board duh).
700 bucks later I try to help others avoid my pain.

Also check your transmission mount too. If it blows out the engine sorta leans back more and can chew the rad up..
You don't have a transfer case drop do you?

It's likely motor mounts, block brackets, trans mount or a combo.

BTW with good mounts and brackets you should be able to almost WOT the motor with minimal engine movement.

I'd put a block of wood under the oil pan, jack up the motor just a bit to relieve it's weight from mounts then get under/over and inspect all ESPECIALLY the block brackets.

Last edited:
Back