• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fall Foliage Trip

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Nick and I were talking today about throwing together a NAXJA Fall Foliage Trip for later on in October. Ideas proposed were:

1- Blue Ridge Parkway Ride - Start at the NC/VA Border in Low Gap, VA and ride down to Boone/Blowing Rock. This is about a 80 Mile trip that can easily be a day trip when you factor in stopping at overlooks for pictures, rest breaks, food breaks, etc etc. Once in Boone we could hang out around the downtown area and get some good grub from one of the several great local restaurants. If we didn't start in VA, we could start a couple hours south of Boone and work our way North on the parkway instead. Boone is a pretty good stopping point as HWY 321 and HWY 421 both dump right into town and can get you back out of town and home easily at the end of the day. If we wanted to continue for another day, and we had enough people going, i'm sure we could find a couple of hotel rooms for an affordable rate if wanted.

2- Mountain City TN - Maybe get some wheelin in, check out the scenery, cruise a little bit on the parkway, and still head into Boone for food and what not.

3- Potts Mountain VA - This would be a camping trip. I'm not real familiar with what all is up there, but I know it's just NW of Roanoke and does have some nice trails and apparently some beautiful scenery.

4- Beach Trip (Carolina Beach) - Opposite end of the state. The fishing is supposed to be good later on in October, and apparently exceptionally good this year thanks to unusual amounts of onshore winds this year. There is the option to camp on Carolina Beach, but keeping in mind that this will be in October it may be kind of chilly to camp on the beach for a weekend. Again, if we had enough people going, hotel rooms should be very affordable, especially since it will be the off-season by that time. This would also give us the flexibility to go see other things along the coast and not have to worry about the campsite (Battleship in Wilmington for example).

These are the ideas we tossed around through some texts today. For a foliage trip, we were thinking mid-late October as that's typically when the color is best in the NC/VA mountains. I usually go up to the mountains every fall and cruise the parkway, and i've found that on an average season the best color is around Halloween weekend. However with this dry weather in the last couple of months, i'm not sure what that's going to do to the colors and timing.

If we did this around Halloween we were thinking of calling/making it a Halloween Bash. It would be open to anybody who wants to come (NC, SC, VA, TN etc). It would be open to all ages, but there would be times where some parts are 21+ (i.e. if we decide to stop at a bar in Boone for a couple of beers or something one night).

We'd love to hear some feedback..ideas for things you'd maybe like to do on any of the above trips. I know there's been some talk lately about doing an event with the NC group, so here's the chance! Speak up!! Also post if you'd be interested in going and what your schedule looks like. We're thinking mid-late October now to give us and everyone else a chance to plan it.

If you do Potts Mountain make sure you stay on the marked trail and play areas. We are having issues up there and we may loose the trail if they continue.

If the trip works out around my schedule I may be able to lead you through there.

I would recommend no less than 31's, skid/rocker protection and front/rear recovery. Lockers are a plus!

Also since this is a National Forest trail, all vehicles must be street legal in the state it is registered in and insured, aka "No trailer queens"

Ok so it's the same legalities as Uwharrie, except for they have areas for trailer queens to park the trailers. Is it really that difficult that you need full skids, rocker protection and all that? With Uwharrie a stocker can get by with no damage easily. Reason I ask is I don't have full skids or rocker protection...but I may just say screw it...guess we'll see what the other opinions are.

I would definitely be up for a day cruise down the Blue Ridge......could you imagine cruising down the parkway in a convoy of XJs?? Wouldn't mind starting from either end. Keep us updated!

It would be pretty cool. If we're going to plan this out, I would think that we'd need to have a decision on which idea is most liked with in the next week or so...that way people have a chance to mark it on their calendars.

Ok so it's the same legalities as Uwharrie, except for they have areas for trailer queens to park the trailers. Is it really that difficult that you need full skids, rocker protection and all that? With Uwharrie a stocker can get by with no damage easily. Reason I ask is I don't have full skids or rocker protection...but I may just say screw it...guess we'll see what the other opinions are.

Not 100% necessary but there may be body damage. Some good spotting can get you through unharmed most of the time but.....

I see. Not so sure i'm into mashing up the body from wheelin just yet. Would you be able to come down to Low Gap and ride the parkway some if we decided to do that? I know it's a couple hours to Low Gap for you...so if you did decide to come, there'd be no hard feelings if you turned around before we got to Boone to avoid a long drive back late in the day.

Trying to find the best option out there and get as many people as we can involved. I know we've got everything from basically stock to decently modified in the area...looks like finding something for everyone might be a bit difficult.

I see. Not so sure i'm into mashing up the body from wheelin just yet. Would you be able to come down to Low Gap and ride the parkway some if we decided to do that? I know it's a couple hours to Low Gap for you...so if you did decide to come, there'd be no hard feelings if you turned around before we got to Boone to avoid a long drive back late in the day.

Trying to find the best option out there and get as many people as we can involved. I know we've got everything from basically stock to decently modified in the area...looks like finding something for everyone might be a bit difficult.

Well it all depends on my schedule, I coach youth football. The regular season ends Oct 16th but the playoffs start the following week. I expect my team to make a run at the City/County Super Bowl so I may be tied up until mid Nov.

Damn didn't know that. Looking at it on the map it looks closer to Roanoke than that

The nice thing about heading to the Boone area is that we have the ability to wheel and sightsee in one weekend. One day could be Mtn. City, and the next could be a BRP and forest roads trip. People could show up for one or both. Mtn city is friendly to all rigs, and has it's own scenery.

Damn didn't know that. Looking at it on the map it looks closer to Roanoke than that

Yep, its about 30 miles north on 311, which is a steep mountain road (the Appalachian Trail crosses 311 at the top of Catawba Mtn) then you make a right in New Castle to go to the bottom entrance of the trail, that is about 10-12 miles out of New Castle on winding back roads.

To reach the top entrance to the trail you stay straight on 311 until you reach the top of Potts Mountain, (about 15 miles) then you make a right on Potts East which is a gravel fire road, for about 10 more miles to reach the trail head.

The trail itself is 10-12 miles long and takes no less than 4-5 hours driving straight through to run it. There is camping in "The Field" at the top of the mountain and it is primitive. There is a campground near the bottom entrance to the trail called "The Pines", it is a NF campground. Expect the temps to be 10-20 degrees cooler on the mountain than they are in Roanoke, right now it is 52 degrees at the top of the mountain! (there is a weather station up there)

It takes me every bit of an hour to reach the trail from my house which is south of Roanoke out in the burbs more towards Franklin County (Moonshine Capital of the World)

hmmmm..... i could prolly do the one in mountain city. is this a wheelin trip, or just a drive through the hills?

To make it clear, Mtn. City means a day of wheeling at Callalantee.

I'm out for the trip. Last minute spot opened up for a month long class in October. I will be in Cullowhee NC though, 20 mins from the BRP, and some light wheeling at Mose's Creek.

4-29 unless I can't get out of Jury duty, then I'll be headed back a week earlier.

Well perhaps we could do a day trip to Cullowhee then. I'm assuming that you'd be free on the weekends?

Would love to still do something this month...thinking maybe the weekend before halloween or something (23-24th). I may already be in Boone but i'm not sure yet. What interest is there to do something?

Back