• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faith in the System...

ausi02

NAXJA Forum User
So that Brian Aitken guy who got locked up for the guns in his trunk.... he got pardoned by the Governor. I just read it on facebook. Everyone can breath easy

There is hope after all:party::party:

no chit huh? thats awesome. wonder if he was feeling the pressure from all the press on the situation...

I'm not sure I'd call that faith in the system -- he just got lucky there was a guy with 1/2 a brain in the gov's chair. Good news, nonetheless.

I just read the details of the court case....... the following is just plain disturbing:

Source: http://www.pitchengine.com/free-brian-aitken-legal-gun-owner-jailed-for-7-years/105462/

"On January 2, 2009 Brian was arrested for illegal possession of firearms while moving from one residence from another. All of the firearms were legally owned—Brian passed three different FBI background checks to purchase and had even cleared an FBI screening for employment as a data researcher handling confidential information for a banking security software firm.

Several witnesses, including the arresting officer, testified that not only did Brian have multiple residences but that his car was packed with his personal belongings–so much so that it took the police 2 hours and 39 minutes before they found Brian’s guns locked and unloaded in the trunk of his car, exactly as NJ law dictates. Brian knew this because only days earlier he had found out through the NJ state police how to legally transport his firearms in NJ. The officers, believing Brian had done nothing wrong, then offered to leave the firearms at his parents’ house, but when they wouldn’t fit in his father’s safe the supervising officer decided to arrest him instead.

During the trial it became clear to everyone in the courtroom that Brian fit the exemptions of the law for moving between residences. However, the judge withheld the law from the jury, thereby ensuring a guilty verdict. Regardless, the jury returned from deliberation three times specifically requesting to be read the exemptions of the law. One can only assume that this was so they could find Brian not guilty. The judge and the prosecutor made it clear that they had no intention of allowing Brian to walk out an innocent man. They were more interested in a guilty verdict than truth and justice.

Six days later Governor Christie decided not to reappoint Judge James Morley for his misconduct in 2 other cases where Judge Morley sympathized with an off duty police officer who molested farm animals."

I guess we gotta assume Brian gave consent to the search of his vehicle? I haven't found anything that discusses the probable cause for the search.......

WTF is going on in New Jersey? Is common sense illegal as well?

...... Well, I suppose if the people depicted on shows such as "Jersey Shore" and "Jerseylicious" are a true example of the majority of folks found there..... they've been fawked for a long time.

Last edited:
2 other cases where Judge Morley sympathized with an off duty police officer who molested farm animals."

:wow: they aren't teaching this at the academy now, are they??

While its easy to say that the judge here was a crackpot and blame it on him, as most of the press has, equally at fault are the arresting officers and the DA who elected to charge this guy -- 3 felonies a day, its not just a book, its what every citizen in the US now commits, should prosecutors wish to look into it, given the enormity and volume of law that covers everything from how you transport firearms, to how you speak to co-workers, to how you fill out auto registration forms... land of the free, home of the brave.:eye:

Three-Felonies-a-day

In the academy? Nah, not for a long time. With budget cuts and all....... field trips out to the farms just got too expensive..... particularly when taking all the work-comp claims afterwards into account........... but I suppose that's the significance of the "off duty part"...... :gag: As I understand it though...... Firefighters are still being issued boots and velcro gloves...... :D

equally at fault are the arresting officers and the DA who elected to charge this guy

Not if they're following the black and white of the absurd laws they're held to enforce.

I tell ya Chris........ gun stories like this really make me concerned when making contacts out on the street. Without discretion and careful attention to the processes we cops initiate when dealing with citizens and their guns...... legal, respectful, responsible owners can really pay a hefty price. Trust me........ it's pretty difficult to be a gun rights advocate and a cop.

You'll recall the recent arrest of that old Wheat Ridge guy that shot at the two illegals stealing his trailer. I was in total disbelief that the old guy got charged with 2 counts of attempted murder - until I read the arrest affidavit.

I would have been totally supportive of the old guy's rights if the story reported by the media was the absolute truth........ but because the old man didn't/wouldn't cooperate with the investigators, made up 2 different accounts of what happened (first stating he never fired any shots), lied about the guns he owned and hid the actual gun used until after he was arrested and questioned under waived Miranda advisement....... his motives were certainly in question at that point. Had he simply been straight up, I believe he would not have arrested and certainly not charged.

That old man was not representing a respectful, responsible gun owner.

Last edited:
I don't envy ya, Troy. I'm a 5th amendment taking, respectful type of guy. I hope your collegues will recognize it when I respectfully assert my right to remain silent, my rights to be free of unlawful search and seizure, and other such related rights... if'n I ever get pulled over again, its been a while. I probably shouldn't have said that, I jinx'd it. :shhh:

I'm not sure I'd call that faith in the system -- he just got lucky there was a guy with 1/2 a brain in the gov's chair. Good news, nonetheless.

Agreed , if this is what it takes for the system to use common sense than we all need a little governor in our pockets
Given that Governors and presidents don't actually pardon that many people , I think we're still f@cked , or at least
I am . I don't think O bummer cares about us real men who carry our own version of piece in our pockets .

but honestly I was only helping that poor sheep over the fence...

........with a series of rapid pelvic thrusts. I'm sure Firefighters have a name for that kind of rescue tactic..... :D

The hind-lick maneuver?

Back