• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Fog Light Relay Conversion (i.e. Fogs on w/ High Beams)

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure if this should go in modified tech or OEM tech but since it is a modification to an OEM setup I chose OEM tech.

I thought I would share a recent modification I made. It allows you to easily modify your factory fog light relay to allow your fog lights to remain on when your high beams are on. I have seen several questions about an easy way to do this and this is about the easiest.

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind modifying your vehicle in this manner may be illegal in some state where it is not permitted to drive with fog lights and high beams on at the same time, hence the reason for Jeep deciding for you when your fog lights are allowed on.

Reference: I originally found info about this mod at http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/fogrelay/ so props go to Aaron.

Here is what I found and did.

Mod Performed on 2000 Jeep Cherokee with Factory fog lights.
(I believe this mod will work on all 1997 to 2001 Jeep Cherokees in the same manner.)

1. Locate fuse and relay box on passenger side of engine compartment.
2. Remove cover locate and pull out Fog Light Relay 1.
3. Bend tab #2 back as shown in picture below.
4. Reinsert relay, and enjoy the ability to run your fogs with your high beams.

Note: If you bend tab #2 on Fog Light Relay 2 you will lose your fogs altogether.

Hope this helps some people out.

yeah i live in pa and its illegal if they dont turn off with the highs on.it is also illegal to even have a foglight on your car, or truck with out them working. well thats what i was told by the guy who did my last inspiction. made me mad.:smsoap: i had to take them off after makeing them custom for my 240sx i didnt have the relay on me. he would pass it with them on there even if i was driveing like that for 2 years. and its illegal if they dont turn off with the highs on. but in my case im just going to add a wire and switch in with the line going to the light this would override the relay. i think?

well this is good to know i have always wished that they would stay on with the high beams but never knew ow to make them do that im definately gonna be tryin this out on my 97 ill let yall know if it works

I was getting ready to sit down and bury my head in wiring diagrams to figure out how to keep the factory fogs on with marker lights, low, and high beams. I found this post on a Google search, figured that low and high beams were close enough and took the 45 seconds to do it.

Well it works with parking lights too. Awesome, thanks! (Yes I know this post is three years old.)

Thanks for waking this thread up, I was considering doing something like this. I'd almost suggest making a PDF of it and putting it in the FAQ section if it wasn't for the possible illegality in some states.

IINM, there's another solution where you replace the relay with a short jumper across the power wire to the fogs- I figured out that it was useless to me since the relay slot has no terminals in it on my PDC, but someone might appreciate that.

WRT to the legality, of course this would be a temporary fix for a little more light for a trail ride, and would, obviously, be bent back in it's proper position for the drive home, right? :shhh:

The ground for the relay is tied into one of the hdlights on the hi side. You have to ground the wire to the frame and it'll eliminate the pesky on/off of the fog lights w/ the hi beams.

The ground for the relay is tied into one of the hdlights on the hi side. You have to ground the wire to the frame and it'll eliminate the pesky on/off of the fog lights w/ the hi beams.

well i tried this today and got nothing. thanks for your advice..... i found that the best way was to take the dash out.. on the back of the fog light switch there are three wires the purple with white is the power for the fogs from the headlight switch and dimmer.. so i un hooked and ran my own power to the factory rocker switch...

Sorry, the 97+ fogs are controlled that way.

I looked at the schematic for a 93, and the fog lights get there power on the violet/white wire (low beam) coming from the dimmer switch.

My bad, I didn't read the year.

Back