• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory fog light question

langer1 said:
[font=Courier New, Courier, mono]VIN: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]1J4FJ58S5ML514502 [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Year/Make/Model: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]1991 JEEP CHEROKEE LAREDO [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Body Style: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Engine Type: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]4.0L L6 HO MPI [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Manufactured In: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]UNITED STATES [/font]
Thanks Langer1 I had been wondering if I had bought a 91 and received a 90 from the salesman but you have given me peace of mind
Thanks

To JEEPZZ: Its a HO with MPI and bought in the states, its cheaper to import and ship a car from the states than it is to bring it from Venezuela or for the fact any other car producer in the region (Brasil or Argentina).

REN: I have the power switch but have found that when it is in the POWER position (mine does not say confort in any place, just POWER and ON/OFF) the motor temp starts climbing very quickly, it maybe that it is also because I switch it when I am going to be driving briskly but it has happened every time so I just switch it on for a few minutes and then back to OFF.

It does make longer shifts (higher rpm shift points) but I also think it will lower gas mileage.

Maybe I just drive very leisurely but I never find a need for more brisk manuvering. Here in double lane roads you can travel in the 80/90 mph bracket of speed, more you will be risking breaking your neck.

Cheers

SACEM

The 98+ XJ's have a plug behind the switch panel under the radio. This plug will have a hot side but it's connected to the instrument lights so the little light on the factory fog switch comes on when energized, it won't do anything else.
If you open your PDC [Power Distribution center] on the passenger side fender well you will see the sockets for the fog light relays, note that there is no plug under them.
The add on kit that you get from mopar [if they still make it] has a new harness that plugs in to the under dash wiring and has the appropriate relays and switch panel and new switch. When it is all installed inside you will have ONE yellow wire running out thru the firewall, that wire is used to operate the relay that either comes with the kit or in my case I used it to operate the fused hella relay. I also did not use the outside portion of the kit as the wires to power the fogs were 14ga, too light for me. I used the 12ga hella wire that came in the kit.
I've had them installed since 98 on my 98XJ though I started with hella 550's and went to the smaller hella 450's after I cracked the lenses on the 550's.

I've experimented with the power and comfort settings on my 90 XJ. You get somewhat better gas mileage with the switch on comfort. Atleast I did. I got about another 75 miles or so on a tank with it in comfort. Being in the subburbs of NJ, I only put the switch in power when going up in to the Mountains of northern NJ.

got my hellas up an running with the stock switch, looks and works great, im very surprised with my work quality :) jk any one can figure it out. hardest part was finding out what wire did what on the switch

Back