• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Alarm

Well, the key in the door did it. It runs and runs strong, took it for a drive tonight and it all seems tight cept for the brakes, which will be changed when I put my other axles under it.

Hell of a buy for $300.

Bringing it back from the grave...

I am going to have very similar issues with my 91' I have doors still but the disarming switch on the driver door has not worked for a long time - I used to use the hatch to disarm the system but since I cut the back off that is not much of an option any more :D

I was looking at this post on POR:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192416

(although it is for a ZJ) I appears that you could trick the system into disarming by giving the proper input from the lift gate switch:

Body connector #1 at the driver kick panel - or I am sure you can grab that wire farther back in the harness; circuit #

15 - G71 20VT/YL - Security Alarm Liftgate Input

My question is should this be grounded or power (I would put a switch in line and then the alarm can be armed normally with the switch in the off position - to disarm the system you would just flip the switch...

Does anyone know if the key switches ground out when turned (makes the most sense to me - the alarm will disarm when the circuit is completed going to ground via the lock cylinder being turned) Or is there a 12v source that is fed to the alarm when the switch is turned - the ZJ's seems to be the ground style and I would think an XJ of similar vintage would be the same...

Matt

Matt-
Guess it's been a while since you posted this...but did you ever get your alarm problems figured out? My Jeep is cranking, but not starting, and I'm definitely suspecting the alarm. The dumb thing has never worked...but I searched for the yellow/purple wire that several had suggesting grounding to bypass it. I have a 91 and I couldn't find any purple and yellow wired in the driver's side kick panel...any other ideas?? Thanks!
-Brent

BrentNClemson said:
Matt-
Guess it's been a while since you posted this...but did you ever get your alarm problems figured out? My Jeep is cranking, but not starting, and I'm definitely suspecting the alarm. The dumb thing has never worked...but I searched for the yellow/purple wire that several had suggesting grounding to bypass it. I have a 91 and I couldn't find any purple and yellow wired in the driver's side kick panel...any other ideas?? Thanks!
-Brent

If you read down on the thread I posted -this was the result -in short- it works great and the green w/ orange tracer in the liftgate/ rear body harness is the wire you need to ground. I drained my battery from cranking and the alarm goes off - simple - flip the external switch up and down; the system resets and is ready to arm - leave it up and the alarm is off:

From POR:

Well it rarely works this way but here is what I did...

I looked through the liftgate wiring stuff in the FSM and realized there is a key operated ground switch (aka the liftgate input)

Which as Thrashed was saying is purple / yellow at the driver kickpanel but back farther on the body harness it turn to a light green wire with orange... This wire goes to ground when the lock cylinder is turned (deactivating the security module and turning on the dome lights)

By wiring this into a switched ground I now have a security system that can be disarmed manually from the outside of the vehicle and then when the switch is reset the alarm can be re-armed by the power lock switch and will remain armed until the switch is flipped or the driver or pass door lock cylinder is turned (my driver door does not work for some reason )

Anyhow it is terminal #3 on the 6 way (red body on mine) connector going to the the liftgate front the main body harness - I believe it continues back into the main harness with the light green and orange wire so it could be tapped into in a number of locations...

Amazingly - I wired it all up and it worked the first time without even setting the alarm off

HTH's the 91'+ XJ guys

Matt

Back