• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extremely noisy Aussie locker

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running the American made Aussie locker.I installed one in my 00 XJ with 8 1/4. I found it is extremely clunky / noisy. I've had it apart 2 times to recheck the clearances all are in specs. Even tried different weight gear lube. Both synthetic and mineral. I've had an Australian made Aussie in the front of my 87 when I did a non disco axle. It was a lot quieter and smoother. I've also had power trax in some of my other XJs. No where near as noisy.

Is anyone running the American made Aussie locker.I installed one in my 00 XJ with 8 1/4. I found it is extremely clunky / noisy. I've had it apart 2 times to recheck the clearances all are in specs. Even tried different weight gear lube. Both synthetic and mineral. I've had an Australian made Aussie in the front of my 87 when I did a non disco axle. It was a lot quieter and smoother. I've also had power trax in some of my other XJs. No where near as noisy.

When is it "extremely clunky"? Only turning? Straight Line?

Aussies are louder than most lunchbox lockers, but if you are getting popping and clunks going straight down the road.........you may have some issues. I know my Aussie clicks louder than my Spartan did when I turn. I have a 8.8 rear with an Aussie. Every once and a while I will get a loud clunk after I come out of a turn and hit the gas. This is just the locker teeth slipping back into place.

A lunchbox in the rear will always be noisier then the front cause the front only gets engine power in 4x4 and if your complaining of locker noise I dont think a jeep is right for you I love the clicks and stuff as im driving and I got the spartan which is notoriously the most unruly and loud lunchbox

They do seem to be louder than other lunchboxes, but they also seem to be stronger than other lunchboxes.

I'll live with the noise then.Yes I've had plenty of Jeeps. Each one I've had a different traction device. Power Trax has been the quietest. Last Jeep I built I had an Etec but I had a 44 in it. With the 8 1/4 is limited.

When I first installed my Aussie locker in my 8.25 I had the same situation loud clunky while turning. They call it ratcheting but it is actually a clunking sound. When I would go into town and turn a corner everybody would look at me like I just fired a shot. After time it was quieter and I got use to it. Mine is louder when turning right than when I turn left. That one I can't figure out but it's great locker when on the trails.

Hi folks,

The Aussie Locker has a break in period of about 500 miles, after that they tend to quiet down a bit. A thicker gear lube, like you used will help as well.

A couple things to check outside of the diff that can make an auto locker clunk:

- check all tires for air pressure and tire height, make sure all 4 match
- check drive shaft ujoints, replace if loose
- check wheel bearings
- check axle tubes and shafts to see if bent our out of plumb. This can be hard to diagnose but is VIP.

Feel free to give us a call on Monday if you have more questions 585-723-14 eighty nine

It seems to be how they are. My friend thinks there is something wrong with mine....
Works great, just noisy when turning. I really don't care

A few more things...

- We don't recommend using synthetic gear oil or oil with any additives. In this case, the cheaper the better for gear oil, use 75-90 in areas with freezing temps, or 85-140 in warmer climates.

And a question - do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

From our experience conventional gear oil helps to deaden the sound of the locker clicking better than Synthetic.

Synthetic oil will not harm the locker, but we feel it is an unnecessary expense that has negative repercussions - louder locker operation.

it will quiet down.

It will still be noticeable while turning for it's entire life.

My wife's been daily driving an aussie for 2 years. People freak out if they ride in the back. It's fine, just letting you know it's working.

They do seem to be louder than other lunchboxes, but they also seem to be stronger than other lunchboxes.

Cal, when was the last time you saw a insert locker fail? I Never have.
I have seen springs get weak. And have seen my fair share of D30 carriers snap in half and poss. the cross shafts causing that failure in a few of the broken carriers. But the side gears, cam gears and spacers never seem to fail, in my experience. SO strength of even the chinese made lockrights are not a question.

The last time? Maybe 4 years ago? Detroit EZ-Locker with the teeth stripped off.

I've seen it happen to a couple of lockrites as well.

The last time? Maybe 4 years ago? Detroit EZ-Locker with the teeth stripped off.

I've seen it happen to a couple of lockrites as well.

Interesting. in 10 yrs I have yet to see that. But not unbelievable thats for sure.

And Just for those here. In my professional opinion, the "Stronger" the material, the more noise, popping/banging and lack of break in, the locker will see. Reason being is that the teeth stay at a sharper more clean and and true angle. Not allowing disengagement as easy. compared to say a softer not so hardened material, insert that gets slight rounding/wearing of the teeth and disengages much easier and is much quieter. Its a trade off. And why I kinda stopped recommended Spartan inserts, the material is 9310 and heat treated here in the USA, and is So hard of a material that is doesnt wean in, like some others. SO customers would continue to complain about the pops and bangs and tugs on a front insert.

Back