• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition XJ Build, Tech & Sources Thread

figure i'll share my "EXPO" rig so i can get in on this thread

97 4.0/auto-242
30/44 rear zip locker
6ish inches 35s
disc brakes in the back wj dual pistons up front
fancy WJ steering
4.56's long arms blah blah blah

eflores said:
figure i'll share my "EXPO" rig so i can get in on this thread
Just because you can sleep in the back... without folding the seat down. :D

expedition ish :D

Great looking family and nice Jeep. My family and my need to tinker and explore are the reasons I love this hobby!

I see a lot of ideas bouncing around here but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. Expedition doesn't mean hard core 4x4'ing. Its mainly exploring beaten paths and living out of the vehicle.

2. KISS, less modifications the better. Most suggest only lifting the vehicle using load increasing springs to carry more equipment and only increasing the tire size a maximum of 1 inch. Factory is more reliable period. Fixing well known factory weaknesses and making sure everything is in perfect shape is best. Also, if you break a part you dont have, replacing a factory part is 100x easier to find than an aftermarket.

3. Roof racks = suck. Increasing wind resistance and decreasing fuel mileage is counter productive, it also increases your center of gravity and is a nice thief shopping cart. Avoid at all costs and get creative with interior space.

4. skid plates/sliders/protection. Its like insurance, last thing you want is a break down that could have been avoided

5. lights/lights/lights. I can't tell you how much I've used them, from hid's in the headlights themselves to HID warn lights and the libby bar. You can never have enough vision in unfamiliar territory and no amount of planning will stop you from having to drive at night sometimes.

This is my rig, I've explored at least 5k miles in the south west. I've had to use the winch once and it was to pull another vehicle. The parts I use the most are a heavy duty inverter, the wilson cell phone amplifier and the dual battery setup and the electronics (I also use an ipad for almost everything)

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg
So? any upgrades? I realize this is an old post, But wanted to know if anything has changed... also wanted to know, to you mentioned you had a Rusty's 4.5 lift and then lowered... so how much? I have a bone stock 2000 classic.. thinking about a 2 inch OME or a 3.5 RE. I really like the "Expedition Manifesto" - lots of confusion for an Expedition, Mud truck & rock crawler... thanks

XE Ryder- Is your inverter wired directly, and use the on/off switch on the unit? Or do you have a secondary switch and just leave the unit switch "on" at all times?

Some very good info / ideas floating around on this thread. When I was stationed in Vegas, I would wheel my TJ in the Mojave with a Hummer group. Really makes you think about storage and breakages. Now moving back east, and buying an XJ to be the family trek vehicle, my thoughts have shifted on what / how to build a vehicle. I agree with keeping as many beefed up stock parts as possible for reliabilty, which is where my build is going.

Inverter Wiring & Clean Ride!

XE Ryder- Is your inverter wired directly, and use the on/off switch on the unit? Or do you have a secondary switch and just leave the unit switch "on" at all times?

Hi, yes it is wired direct with a auto-resetting circuit breaker (don't want blown fuses out in the boonies) and it's parked on the floor, passenger side about the base of the B pillar - there is nothing there anyway and it makes really easy access to run a cord out the door jam which is good if it's raining - you can click the door shut.

Some very good info / ideas floating around on this thread... ...and buying an XJ to be the family trek vehicle, my thoughts have shifted on what / how to build a vehicle. I agree with keeping as many beefed up stock parts as possible for reliabilty, which is where my build is going.

That's a clean XJ!

Re: Tool Bag & Organization

Today I wanted to share my tool bag setup - it has been tested and tuned to have the right content for most any repair. When you start building your trail tool bag or box, I suggest doing all work on your XJ at home out of your Tool bag, than anything you find lacking, put it into the bag or box! This will allow you to fine tune your content for your rig over time.

Started with the CLC Tool Backpack and just loaded it over time. To make things easier to find, I used a silver paint pen to label many of the closed pockets, and it helps my wife finds things if I'm under the XJ and need another tool.

After 3 years using this pack, I'm hooked on it, it carries So Much and has proven tough with no failures of zippers or the like.
xe-tool1.jpg

xe-tool2.jpg

xe-tool3.jpg

xe-tool4.jpg

xe-tool5.jpg

There are 75 pockets on this thing, and it took me some time to fill them all, but as you add things you find you need, they will get filled. Not shown, I carry a complete Craftsmen socket set and Jeep service manual which fits in between two of the layers.

@ KTMqdracer, I live in Lake County, you are welcome anytime as are any NAXJA Members!

I love that pack. I just checked their site and they have a nice selection of packs. I think my toolbox is headed for the trashcan. It has served me well for 15+ years of chasing/pit support, but it is time to move on.

Great to see an expo thread here that has such history and an OP that is still active with it! *thumbs up*
I'm just getting into the more expo aspect of my own xj. I just don't know if I should add stuff here or post a link and make a build (more like REbuild, haha) thread.
Maybe a teaser pick... ; )
02a54b0d845a304ad1638caf1b70f11d.jpg

Great to see an expo thread here that has such history and an OP that is still active with it! *thumbs up*
I'm just getting into the more expo aspect of my own xj. I just don't know if I should add stuff here or post a link and make a build (more like REbuild, haha) thread.
Maybe a teaser pick... ; )
02a54b0d845a304ad1638caf1b70f11d.jpg

Um.... What happened to the trans tunnel?

Re: Expedition XJ Build, Tech & Sources Thread

Um.... What happened to the trans tunnel?
:cool:
Noticed that, did ya. Heehee. Since its rarely anyone but me in the jeep, occasionally hh6 too, I knew I won't ever need the back seat. I also wanted to create some additional storage and made some modifications to the floor. With the t-case dropped I saw the tail of the transmission hump as unnecessary. I did a little work to try and maximize storage while creating more flat space. It looks a little odd right now but once I'm done building the drawer system/fridge mount/etc it should all come together.
cc28b2760506a76aa4f3ccaa59108e87.jpg
b1dea90c8c6d21cf38bace3fd9b6265f.jpg
3cc20707d24c74395e49a75c2332b097.jpg

At the end I'm hoping it will something sorta like this.
4fbfeff2a386482d1c9776813824405d.jpg

Looks like clean work. Might want to check your drive shaft with the rear end at full bump. I know that kind of mod would work on my rig. Cool idea though and well executed. Through up some pics when the drawers are done.

Nice work. It would be a good place for a second battery and a water tank.
btw the red jeep is mine, if you need more info or pics pm me. Don

Looks like clean work. Might want to check your drive shaft with the rear end at full bump. I know that kind of mod would work on my rig. Cool idea though and well executed. Through up some pics when the drawers are done.
Thanks a bunch. It was my first time playing with metal thinner than 3/16s. Sheet metal work is more challenging. :)
I feel pretty confident I'm good at compression. I do plan on getting new rear springs and adding some airbags for load. This is a little different from my jeeps I've built to crawl. It's less extreme and more designed for extended camping vs. Harder trails.

Nice work. It would be a good place for a second battery and a water tank.
btw the red jeep is mine, if you need more info or pics pm me. Don
That's yours!?! *drool* very nice sir! Is there a build thread on yours? I am mostly feeling my way through the design and using a lot of creative head scratching and over thinking. I made some pretty good progress today on the basic layout. The drawers are fairly thought out at this point. Tomorrow will show how/if it will actually work. I am torn on what to actually do with the new space where the rear seat/footwells were. I'd love to add a second (or third!) Battery and water would be great. I may save the extras (water and fuel tanks as well as a 3rd battery) for my lil trailer build.
a11c19438005da7463b60ed43479a794.jpg

87a230b7a8d6f7271da7fecd579393ff.jpg

Back