• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

eXo Cages and IL

I think they'd be legal as I can see nothing explicit in the code, however it cant extend past the outside edges of the tires.(wider than) I know someone who just got a ticket for a too wide a bumper.

wow to wide of a bumper I would fight that as long as its not 3"s on each side its a bs ticket I would believe it falls under the same rules as hauling wood or any other item. as far as exo go as long as its not blocking your vision it really no diffrent than a utility rack on a pickup for hauling ladders if you incorperate a roof rack into it they really cant say anything and as long as you can see out the drivers door and front and rear you should be ok there is a guy in indy in that s good with that stuff his name is Dave I m trying to find his number I want to exo mine also.

DOT is not always informed to the best. on those type ofr laws and if everyone starts asking about it they will be glad to make a law against it and start fineing us for it. just like the lift law the tinted window laws the neon under light laws stero laws and any other non oem bs law. The bottom line is if you customize and drive on the street be prepared to be pulled over and questioned thats why I have always promoted car clubs it allows the club members to help do charity work with the cops and then they tend to not get so picky with club member cars all in all people fear change cops are people if they feel a trend is going to cause them more trouble then not they are quick to work with the city to put a stop to it.
but hey thats just my stupid theorY!

Rockhound89 said:
my self i would just pick up the phone and call your DOT to make sure:dunno:

He can call DOT all day.....

In Illinois its the Secretary of State with the help of the State Police that enforces that kind of stuff.

ezwarrior said:
DOT is not always informed to the best. on those type ofr laws and if everyone starts asking about it they will be glad to make a law against it and start fineing us for it. just like the lift law the tinted window laws the neon under light laws stero laws and any other non oem bs law. The bottom line is if you customize and drive on the street be prepared to be pulled over and questioned thats why I have always promoted car clubs it allows the club members to help do charity work with the cops and then they tend to not get so picky with club member cars all in all people fear change cops are people if they feel a trend is going to cause them more trouble then not they are quick to work with the city to put a stop to it.
but hey thats just my stupid theorY!

I had some police involvment/interference/harassment about my doors last summer. I had printed the relevant sections of I.V.C. out and carried them in my glovebox. When I got pulled over and questioned about the doors, I pulled out the sections and politely asked the officer to show me where I could find the correct dimensions the doors had to be.... He couldn't, but he called the Commerical officer, and he couldn't show me any different either.

Being polite and showing a real interest in doing the right thing has worked well for me. The other time I got stopped, the cop's son had a Cherokee, saw mine and wanted a look at my doors, but that is totally different aggravation........

w_howey said:
He can call DOT all day.....

In Illinois its the Secretary of State with the help of the State Police that enforces that kind of stuff.

And most of the time they don't have a clue either. JIM.

Yes I agree being nice and trying to find the right answer works the good thing about an exo cage is as long as it doesnt block your view you can argue its no diffrent than a utility rack for a truck and hell look at the road armor bumpers that cover the whole front end they are dot approved the way I see it as long as your not out driveing like an idiot they should leave you alone.

i i got some damage at the cliffs on sunday...looking for protection....cuz with buying sliders and bumpers, tire carrier bumper....id like a nice ra ck too...it adds up to around the same amount of monies to do an exo cage....prolly a little more

i dunno if iwanna do the crok cage though

Back