• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Part needed

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
I need a cat for my 96. Pm me if you got one so we can talk about your donation. :shhh:

If you can find me a bolt on cat delete pipe and swap it, you can have mine..

Did you know that it's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter in the state of California?

Just curious - does that mean you can't buy one from a JY?

David Bricker / SYR

Just curious - does that mean you can't buy one from a JY?

David Bricker / SYR

Most junkyard chop out the cats before they even hit the yard, and if you find one they missed they are not allowed to sell it to you.

This is for California State
Beginning July 10, 2008, no used converter can be legally advertised for sale, sold as replacement, or installed in California after this date.
http://davisconverters.com/statelaws/California-State-Laws.shtml

Federal EPA mandates
What about using converters from salvage yards or junked cars?
EPA considers it a violation of the policy to install a used converter from a salvage yard or
sell it for reuse unless it has been properly tested and labeled. Similarly, it is a violation to install
an untested used converter brought in by a customer, even if the customer insists that the used
converter came off his/her vehicle.
Salvage or junk yards also would be considered liable for causing tampering if they sell
converters that have not been tested or do not meet the requirements outlined in the policy and if the
converters are subsequently installed by parties named in the Clean Air Act as prohibited from
tampering.
http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but it's the law.

I know you cannot sell what in CA. But does my ad mention anything about buying one?

I know you cannot sell what in CA. But does my ad mention anything about buying one?

Thank you, its not my thread so I didn't want to jump in the middle of it... but seriously if your not going to HELP a fellow jeeper out then just don't reply. Your not asking for an illegal smog or something stupid like that, your asking for a part to bring your Xj back into "CA legal code". Anyway just my .02 it frustrates me when I see comments like that, you and countless others have helped me out with all kindss of shit when I need it before and there is really no need to try and pull a Casual on anyone with some know it all comments about what the law says, no one asked what the rules were you asked if anyone could help you out.

Ok I'm done ranting, we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

I'm not sure about what the law actually says about this but we should be aware that anyone can read our forums and we should try to avoid creating the impression we are violating emissions or other laws.

I'm not sure about what the law actually says about this but we should be aware that anyone can read our forums and we should try to avoid creating the impression we are violating emissions or other laws.

I agree with you 100% John. I just don't think his original post indicated any kind of wrong doing. He is trying to fix his jeep and meet the laws.

Back