• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Ideas?

As far as the Airaid goes...I have one and I love it....it fits so well and looks really good. I can't tell you if it really helps out alot...because I really can't hear it whistle really over my exhaust...

Gibson would be a nice change of pace...not alot of people running a gibson.

Wow... Thanks for all the replies.

As for why I'm doing it, I'm replacing the whole cat-back because somehow the center section got a droop in it and it's starting to rust out. I just want to replace the whole thing. I'm looking for suggestions as to which is a good muffler and what not. I appreciate all the input.

It looks like I'll either be going with a DynoMax, MagnaFlow, or Gibson. Nothing fancy. I will also be putting an AirAid cold air intake on it soon.

Dynomax catbaack is great cept they don't last for tomany new england winter but since you're in az you should be good to go

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate all the insights. I'll try to remember to post pics and reviews when I get it all installed.

If your 2000 has the mini cats in the header (like mine) you have to keep them or else you'll have nowhere to land the two post cat O2 sensors. Doing so will kill you gas mileage and make it run like total crap. What I did on mine was upgrade the rear cat(under the jeep) to a 2.5" hi flow and 2.5" FlowMaster 50 series cat back (quieter that the 40 or 44 but still fully welded) from Rustys. They make a 70 series too which is quieter still. The 50 has a good sound but isn't overkill and flows well.

Last edited:
The 50 has a good sound but isn't overkill and flows well.
No it doesn't. Every time I see an airflow chart or dyno comparison of various mufflers Flowmaster consistently has some of the worst values.

Can't say I'm too interested in Flowmaster. If I do piece it together (instead of a complete cat-back), I'll probably go with a Borla muffler. Not sure what I'll do for high-flow cats yet.

I put a thrush muffler on mine that I got from summit. It isn't too loud. Maybe borderline but no where near the flow master.

I just did this as well, I was going to go with the "Thrush Welded" but they were out of those, so I just bought a "Thrush Turbo" muffler (and $32 vs $52). I installed it on my 2000, the rest of the exhaust is completely stock. My Jeep has really low and quiet grumble at idle (I think it sounds good), a nice mid-range beefy / muscley tone at cruising RPM, and it roars when you open it up! :D

As far as performance goes, my Jeep feels more responsive, I'm probably getting better gas mileage (I don't know yet), and it just sounds SO much better now, yet it's really not very loud at all.

Also, another majorly important factor, NO DRONE, my dad's JK has a really nice 2.5" exhuast all the way through that sounds fantastic, but when you're actually driving the thing around it can get pretty dang annoying...

96 so it has the 96- catback system, like I said... I got my universal hiflow cat from summit and I did an APN header/late 99+ intake(downpipe is next!)

Back