• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

The TCU gets data from the ECU including the TPS data no doubt with vehicle speed and load data of some sort. The cable you cut is fluid pressure control that runs off the throttle position, and has a spring loaded setting off the throttle body connection side of the cable.

You can shift 1-3-4 and R manually with out the TCU. That is all I know.....regarding your questions

As I recall, the only data from the ECU was the throttle position which was just a copy of the TPS sensor output. (I think it was just wired directly to the tps wiring inside the ECU connector?). No load data or anything like that.

So can I just get a pinout of the TCU and splice it directly into the correct wires coming out of the tranny?

If that was the line pressure reg will line pressure be full all the time like a 4l60e without electronics?

Does this trans need a vss?

Sorry I know nothing about this trans and I really appreciate the help

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Sure, you can use the pinout and recreate the harness. The wires to the trans (again from memory) are for the three solenoids, the output shaft speed sensor, and the NSS (neutral, reverse, shifter position sensor). There is no VSS other than the output speed sensor.

OK great so if I wire it to the TCU it will run like a regular automatic? Any other wires to the TCU? 12vpower? Thanks

Yes.

OK great so if I wire it to the TCU it will run like a regular automatic? Any other wires to the TCU? 12vpower? Thanks

Hi this doesn't have to do with my tranny but does have to do with drivetrain. I have a 99 Cherokee Laredo. I really need to know if there was an early/late model that year. Or I just got a bad coil pack off the shelf of the local part store.

Hi this doesn't have to do with my tranny but does have to do with drivetrain. I have a 99 Cherokee Laredo. I really need to know if there was an early/late model that year. Or I just got a bad coil pack off the shelf of the local part store.

Depends on which part, but far as I am aware they didn't break 99 up like 90-91 or 96-97.
For a ignition coil pack I think that is the last year of distributors for the 4.0 so if it's a coil pack instead of a inline ignitor you probably got right part # but we've got no idea if it's bad or not.

If the parts counter man is asking early or late just get the production date off the door.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offtopic, so I'll not answer here, but I'm looking at your other thread on it.

Hello from Texas all. Just wanted to get this straight. I'm doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion. I have everything off the 99 4wd cherokee. I am however gonna use the Novak cable shifter. I have a lift and the front hp dana 30 out of the 99 installed and have been driving like that for over year. Yes you need more than a budget boost as the front hp yoke will wack the hell out of the y-pipe espec on hard braking. I have the complete 4wd aw4,wiring harness/242 transfer case still bolted together sitting in storage. In a few months im gonna take the tranny for a rebuild just to give me peace of mind. Am i correct that the 99 tranny will then bolt up and run correctly behind my 2001 computer?

You are correct, yes. It should drop right in and all you'll need to swap are the trans, tcase, driveshafts, tcase shift linkage+handle, and front axle, part of which you've already done.

edit: aside from the exhaust clearance issues you noted, that is.

Thank you for the help. I've already installed the shifter handle and 4wd beze. So i'm most of the way there.
l

Hello from Texas all. Just wanted to get this straight. I'm doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion. I have everything off the 99 4wd cherokee. I am however gonna use the Novak cable shifter. I have a lift and the front hp dana 30 out of the 99 installed and have been driving like that for over year. Yes you need more than a budget boost as the front hp yoke will wack the hell out of the y-pipe espec on hard braking. I have the complete 4wd aw4,wiring harness/242 transfer case still bolted together sitting in storage. In a few months im gonna take the tranny for a rebuild just to give me peace of mind. Am i correct that the 99 tranny will then bolt up and run correctly behind my 2001 computer?

You need to post up on the local red river chapter threads too. Several of us in Houston, surfside, conroe and so on

I've searched but couldn't find a definite answer. I have an 89 MJ 4.0 2wd AW4 and I found a 98 4wd aw4 from an XJ. I've read about building the circuit or swapping the rear housing and speed sensor setup. My question is can I swap the tcu and wiring harness instead?

Again sorry if this has been answered, I scrolled through this post and have searched all over for the answer.

Thanks.

I've searched but couldn't find a definite answer. I have an 89 MJ 4.0 2wd AW4 and I found a 98 4wd aw4 from an XJ. I've read about building the circuit or swapping the rear housing and speed sensor setup. My question is can I swap the tcu and wiring harness instead?

Again sorry if this has been answered, I scrolled through this post and have searched all over for the answer.

Thanks.

Grabbing the entire 98 trans, xfer case, TCU, 98 NSS, and the 98 wiring harness between the TCU and Trans should work with some minimal splicing required. Other than the wiring between the TCU and tranny/NSS, I think you've only got seven wires that need spliced into the vehicle? +12v ign off, +12v ign on, brake switch, ground, backup lights, tps sensor (see note below about the TPS), and maybe a wire from the NSS to the start relay (interlock so you can only start with it in park).

One thing to note is that the 89 has a dual output Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) providing a "normal" output for the engine, and a "reversed" input for the TCU. The 98 only had a single "normal" output that's fed to both the engine computer and the TCU. So during the swap you need to splice into the other output from the TPS.

The 89 engine computer doesn't talk to the TCU, so don't bother hooking up the data wires on the 98 TCU (in fact, the data wire on the 89 just rruns to the yellow diagnostic connector under the hood). The 89 had the power/comfort switch on the dash that's no longer used, so you can skip that wire as well.

I probably have copies of the relevant portions of the wiring schematics if you need help sorting out the wire colors.

I don't recall if the throttle cable between the 98 trans and the 89 trans is different at the throttle body end. The speedo cable will need to go into the xfer case instead of the back of the 2wd tranny.

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but when doing a trans fluid change is there anything else I can do besides new fluid and filter to make sure I get many more years out of her? I have a b&m cooler I will be installing as well.

The filter is just a metal screen. You can save a few bucks and just rinse it out with some carb cleaner. Some would say don't bother dropping the pan and messing with it.

If the fluid is dirty, discolored, I would a pint of Trans-X, drive it about 10 miles, and drain the fluid while it is hot. Also, if you disconnect the transmission line at the radiator, you can run the engine in Park (IIRC, or maybe neutral?) and pump drain the fluid, to get more of the old fluid out in one drain step.

If the fluid still looks and smells OK, there is no need to drain it all using the internal pump. If it is dirty, some say to do small transfusions, as in do not pump it dry. Draining at the drain pain only seems to drain about 1/3 of what they hold IIRC. The TC holds a lot of the fluid.

Okay please don't beat me up to bad.... I've read through this whole thing and I maybe over thinking this and having information overload.
I have a 97 2wd xj I'm turning into a 4wd with a 94 aw4 and 231, my concern
-are the wires the same color or am I gonna need a pin out for the wires?
-am I going to need to do somthing with my tcm?
I've seen people ask on here similar questions to mine but didn't seem to get answered and when I've used Google it's like no one has done the 97 with an older transmission. I have not bought the transmission and transfer case yet but know where one is for a heck of a deal so if I could get some info ASAP the better.
Thank you everyone for all the info and hopefully some help.

Okay please don't beat me up to bad.... I've read through this whole thing and I maybe over thinking this and having information overload.
I have a 97 2wd xj I'm turning into a 4wd with a 94 aw4 and 231, my concern
-are the wires the same color or am I gonna need a pin out for the wires?
-am I going to need to do somthing with my tcm?
I've seen people ask on here similar questions to mine but didn't seem to get answered and when I've used Google it's like no one has done the 97 with an older transmission. I have not bought the transmission and transfer case yet but know where one is for a heck of a deal so if I could get some info ASAP the better.
Thank you everyone for all the info and hopefully some help.

Anyone?? Anyone?? :helpme:

Back