• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everyone with Mini SKids

Nope, didn't disconnect my LCA's... just ran short welds, alternating sides and skids as I went along, letting them cool in between. Took a little longer, but I didn't feel like disconnecting the LCA's. No damage done.

Nope, I left them in and welded it up, half of one side of the LCA mount at a time. Everything is good to date

RE3792.jpg

324.jpg

I don't see anything there that would be bothered by enough heat to melt metal!:looney:

Remove them so you can weld the inside of the stock control arm brackets to the axle tube, before welding on the mini-skids.

Or you could not, and get some kid to freak out while he watches you drive your first trail at Johnson Valley! Right Bryan? :eeks1:

Take the arm out so you can fully weld those mounts. They rip off all too often.

Or you could not, and get some kid to freak out while he watches you drive your first trail at Johnson Valley! Right Bryan? :eeks1:

That's funny. I almost posted up my pic from 2004. No mini-skids or welding done at all to the brackets. Lasted less than 1 year with the long-arms.

standard.jpg

Mark Hinkley, Andy Couch, and Farmer Matt all helped weld it back on. Good times on Wrecking Ball.
standard.jpg

:anon:

I'll have to remove my LCAs just to beat the curled-up mounts flat enough to weld on the skids. Plus, I've already got torn control arm bushings from the last six months of wheeling, so I might as well swap out the bushings while I have the arms removed. Mini-skids are a good stocking stuffer for Christmas, right?

Remove them so you can weld the inside of the stock control arm brackets to the axle tube, before welding on the mini-skids.

Yes!!!

The Dana 30 Lower Control Arm Mount is only welded on the outside from the factory.

Pull the arm and put a bead on the inside of both sides of the mount before you put the Mini Skids on.

i dont have mini skids but my lca mounts bent up enough so they are kinda out of the way now :)

I bought a set of mini-skids the last time I had my XJ out in Moab. Found a pothole on the way off Metal Masher, and just about ripped the passenger side LCA mount off the D30. So far, they seem to be doing the trick.

And welding the inside of the LCA mount to the tube is a good idea, period.

Alright I will definitely be disconnecting the arms and running beads on the inside too then. Thanks for all the answers

By the way, you can avoid actually buying the skids from JKS or something for a lot of money if you just get some 3x3 chunks of steel and weld them in. My local steel yard didn't even charge me for them

Alright I will definitely be disconnecting the arms and running beads on the inside too then. Thanks for all the answers

By the way, you can avoid actually buying the skids from JKS or something for a lot of money if you just get some 3x3 chunks of steel and weld them in. My local steel yard didn't even charge me for them

This just depends on how big you control arm bushings are. My Clayton arms use the stock rubber bushings which are big. The JKS or any other name brand have small bends to allow larger bushings to be used. You can use the flat steel but only if you have small enough bushings to not rub on the steel plate.

I'm debating between jks mini skids or these ones. What do you guys think? It sure does look stronger.

the ones in the link look like curries or JKS's skids. That one though has a longer lip which is kinda cool. But with shipping I think the JKS ones are cheaper... I paid 20 for some new currie skids and 25 for some JKS skids. All my jeeps even my DD TJ has these for piece of mind. Easy, smart and cheap upgrade that really works.

I was thinking I have paid less for both the Currie and the JKS skids too even after shipping, I would just pay to get the bent up ones, what is $25-$35 for skids.

If you really want to build up the axle you should pull it out and box up the passenger side upper control arm.

Dana30.jpg

Boxed.jpg

But I have welded them on with out pulling the arms off, I put a wet rag on the arm to help keep the heat away from the rubber bushing.

Don't forget to paint them:
MiniSkids.jpg

MiniSkids01.jpg

MiniSkids02.jpg

Nice NAXJA sticker:
MiniSkids03.jpg

Also if anyone needs help welding them on, I am always happy to burn mini skids on.

I'll have to remove my LCAs just to beat the curled-up mounts flat enough to weld on the skids. Plus, I've already got torn control arm bushings from the last six months of wheeling, so I might as well swap out the bushings while I have the arms removed. Mini-skids are a good stocking stuffer for Christmas, right?
I've always straightened LCA brackets with a pair of vice grips... still gotta pull the LCA out though.

How do you guys clean the rust (well, paint, I guess, in your neck of the woods) off the axle tube and inside of the LCA bracket before welding it? I can't get my grinder in there, nor a wire brush really, always figured I'd use a die grinder bit or a mini wire wheel on a dremel.

I've always straightened LCA brackets with a pair of vice grips... still gotta pull the LCA out though.

How do you guys clean the rust (well, paint, I guess, in your neck of the woods) off the axle tube and inside of the LCA bracket before welding it? I can't get my grinder in there, nor a wire brush really, always figured I'd use a die grinder bit or a mini wire wheel on a dremel.

I always use as dremel for those hard to reach places. Can you really bend back the mount with a pair of vise grips?! huge ones or what? hah

Back