• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ever tune up the xj......then it runs like crap

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
After all the tuning I did, suddenly my 88 seems to just bne puttering out. I changed the TPS, plugs, wires, o2 sensor....and no for some reason, I'm getting crap gas mileage, have no power, and itt akes forever to start, occasionally stumbling. what's up with that?

screwy plug gaps can cause issues, too, if you use plugs that aren't pregapped and a crappy to tool to do it.
firing order is pretty easy to mess up if you didn't change everything by copying what was there. i found that the firing order in the FSM for my 93 was one hole off..

I tried the same thing. I was given some whoopy tee doo platinums. Both the 90 and 92 ran like pure liquid crap. I put the Champion 4412(?) back in and it ran great. Also check the plug itself. If the ceramic is cracked the plug will ground out and a misfire will occur.

In a couple of spots, it´s really hard to pull the plug wire, by the boot. I've gotten lazy and pulled them by the wire, without turning the boot on the plug first and have often come to grief. The wire and connector either slide too far into the boot or the wire pulls loose from contact in the boot. Some kind of non conducting lube, for the side of the plug, helps make sure the boot and contacts slide down all the way onto the spark plug end and clamp like there are supposed to.
The last set of cables I installed, I used Blue Max 8 mm with some really thick and long plug boots ( a lot easier to grab, pull and push). I also used solid core wire, just to see what happens. Has worked pretty good so far. Though I did keep the stock coil to cap wire, just to keep a little resistance in the system. And checked to see if the coil was getting too hot. I´ll have to wait awhile and see how the plugs hold up.
My latest win in the fight for idle, was to clean the contacts between the coil and ignition control module and all the connectors on the bottom of the motor (left side). I scrubbed them out with a contact solvent and a very small brush (like a mini bottle brush).
I´d guess new or not, there is an iffy contact, a leak or iffy continuity in the plug wires someplace.
TPS adjustment, has also given me grief. I had resistance in the connector, the grounds and the C-101 connector. Which made keeping it in adjustment almost impossible. I ran the wires for the TPS over the top of the rubber TB intake, and slight the wires a little lengthwise, sure makes testing easy, a little dab of silicon seals them back up and can be scratched off with a fingernail.
I installed a new O2 sensor that worked fine at higher RPM's. but wouldn't seem to idle. I finally replaced that also. New doesn't necessarily mean good.

i have had good results with sutolites and NGK coppers-i like the later because they're cheap, and reliably pregapped (which is to say that i verify the gap but never have to set it). i've generally had cracked insulators or broken wire boots that caused spark misdirection type misfires, but anything done improperly between the coil and the combustion chamber will be noticable by sight and sound as those high-voltage sparks tick over what they've deemed to be the path of least resistance.

Sounds like you might have moisture in the distributor cap. Try spraying the inside of the cap with WD40 and seeif that helps. BTW I use nothing but Bosch Platinun +4 plugs in all 5 of my vehicles and have used them in every vehicle I have owned since they came out and every vehicle ran markedly better with them. Worth every penny of their price!

well, I'm gonna pull it back apart tomorrow, I'll see what I find. The plugs are the bottom line bosch platinums, not the 4, but they're not the autolites that I pulled out that worked fine before. I'm wondering if I need to reset the computer for anything. I'll find out tomoorow

How about the MAP sensor? Did you change it or accidentally pull the vacuum line to it?
Just a thought.

K

From experience the 4.0L runs just fine on base stock type copper cores. I've used nothing in my 98 but dealer supplied OEM Champions for the last 275,000+ miles. They work so I don't screw with them. Tried some fancy NGK plats on my 87 Trooper and that caused all kinds of havoc.

Back