• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evans Creek in October - Feeler

Almost all of Evans is tight, and like Torx said it makes the top of FB5 at Browns Camp look like a cakewalk. Its coupled by off camber and a ton of opportunities to get some new detailing jobs on your straight body panels. The only open trail I know of is the 311, and you can run that trail in short time. That is the only trail I would take mine on. I would love to go but technically none of us with XJ's are even legal there because the new wheel base law (under 100" cant remember exact number), and width law (72" max). Of course its not enforced but I imagine some day it will.

tentatively Still in.. I might just trailer the rig..

Last edited:
because now that i'm looking further into the vid. there's trails thats are really tight corners or wranglers so.... i mean cherokee's are a little longer so i'm pretty sure i wont go

So by that your saying they're pretty tight trails??? or......

Yes, tight in spots but also a lot of off camber spots where things like rock rails and THOR guards are very helpful, especially on trails like 197 and 102 (in spots). You just have to be careful and have a good spotter with you.

I would love to go but technically none of us with XJ's are even legal there because the new wheel base law (under 100" cant remember exact number), and width law (72" max). Of course its not enforced but I imagine some day it will.

I have not heard of this law before. How new is it and does it apply to all of Washington's trail systems?

Yes, tight in spots but also a lot of off camber spots where things like rock rails and THOR guards are very helpful, especially on trails like 197 and 102 (in spots). You just have to be careful and have a good spotter with you.

I have not heard of this law before. How new is it and does it apply to all of Washington's trail systems?

never heard of this and never heard of it being enforced?

and yes at evans creek there is a lot of potential for body damage, but with junk like mine, who cares? :D:D

Almost all of Evans is tight, and like Torx said it makes the top of FB5 at Browns Camp look like a cakewalk. Its coupled by off camber and a ton of opportunities to get some new detailing jobs on your straight body panels. The only open trail I know of is the 311, and you can run that trail in short time. That is the only trail I would take mine on. I would love to go but technically none of us with XJ's are even legal there because the new wheel base law (under 100" cant remember exact number), and width law (72" max). Of course its not enforced but I imagine some day it will.

RCWs or it's not real.

I would love to go but technically none of us with XJ's are even legal there because the new wheel base law (under 100" cant remember exact number), and width law (72" max). Of course its not enforced but I imagine some day it will.

Just type in "Evans Creek width restriction" into Google, and you'll get all kinds of results. It's been on all the boards from WOW to PNW4WDA.

From what I have read Evans has always had a "width restriction" as it was part of the old forest plan, but it's never really been enforced. With a new travel plan going into effect, the old width restriction of 72" is now going to be enforced. As for when, it's still unclear. Both PNW4WDA and WOW are fighting to get the width measurement changed, but I haven't heard how progress has been on it.

I'm still planning on heading up though. The talk of the width restrictions have been going on for quite awhile, and until we start hearing of tickets being written I think we're okay. The important thing is to have a NW Forest Pass (I'll give details later), Evans Creek map, and as always tread lightly both on and off the trails (ie: don't drive like an asshat)!

As for the chance of body damage... yes it's possible. It's also possible to smash in a door at the mall. From what I've experienced, if you stay "in tune" with your surroundings, and pay attention you can come out of Evans with little to no damage. The key is going slow, and not being afraid to take a reverse to re-align. Personally, I think the technical aspect of the trails up there are what makes the place so much fun. Combine the technical trails with some fun obstacles (311, 519) and some gorgeous views of Mt. Rainier, and Evans Creek makes for a pretty good weekend.

It's going to be a great trip, and I'm really looking forward to getting back up there when it's a little more sloppy. :cool:

Evans is only 20 minutes from my house so I have wheeled it countless times in many different times over the years. The only tight trail is the 197 which you shouldn't be on unless you have a decent amount of expperience. You can do all of evans with no damage as long as you take it easy and pay attention to wut you are doing. It isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. As for the width laws it is not enforced. The law is soon to be changed to somewhere close to 80 inches. You will be fine unless you run full width running gear. Evans is a fun olace to go with a lot of diferent terrain. I highly encourage everyone to go atleast once. Just my two cents

Evans is only 20 minutes from my house so I have wheeled it countless times in many different times over the years. The only tight trail is the 197 which you shouldn't be on unless you have a decent amount of expperience. You can do all of evans with no damage as long as you take it easy and pay attention to wut you are doing. It isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. As for the width laws it is not enforced. The law is soon to be changed to somewhere close to 80 inches. You will be fine unless you run full width running gear. Evans is a fun olace to go with a lot of diferent terrain. I highly encourage everyone to go atleast once. Just my two cents
you must live close to me! i live on angeline road.........

Ha no way so do I. I'm off 103rd with the big green jeep in the driveway. Stop by sometime

The second weekend sounds better. Might be a cherokeeforum.com weekend trip at evans the weekend before. I will try to get to both if the jeep runs good

Back