• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine turns over and over but just won't start. HELP!!

IT STARTED!!

Now, I still have the bad smoke problem, bad backfires, and I think it is only running off of a couple of cylinders because of the way it sounds. Possibly timing this time around but I think it is something else. Just have to figure that one out. But at least it started. I think that the smoke is from bad rings. Well, back to the garage.

Kim.

Sounds like the symptom of a sticking valve.

old_man said:
Sounds like the symptom of a sticking valve.

I thought the same thing, but I just had the cover off and all the valves were working properly. Should I take the cover off and take a look again? I don't think the timing is wrong and the wires are where they are supposed to be. It backfires out the carb with alot of white smoke and backfires out the exhaust with minimal black smoke. What do ya think?

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Ok here is what we are dealing with:

85 2.5 carbed engine that just got swapped in. Each wire has spark, been dumping gas down the carb as needed, everything is plugged in and where it is supposed to be except a couple of vac. lines.

Kim.

If you are losing vacuum and have a weak spark your engine will not fire. (too much air, not enough ignition.) Button up the leaky vac lines and put a timing light on it. if you are timed right check the compression of each cylinder with a tester. if you have good compression in each cylinder ( 100 psi is about average, and a 10 psi difference is enough to affect the preformance) start replacing ignition parts, starting with the coil.

85xjwoody said:
I thought the same thing, but I just had the cover off and all the valves were working properly. Should I take the cover off and take a look again? I don't think the timing is wrong and the wires are where they are supposed to be. It backfires out the carb with alot of white smoke and backfires out the exhaust with minimal black smoke. What do ya think?

Kim.

If it is backfiring out of the carb your valve timing is off. Pop the timing chain cover and check for alignment, slack and wear.

LazarusMJ said:
If you are losing vacuum and have a weak spark your engine will not fire. (too much air, not enough ignition.) Button up the leaky vac lines and put a timing light on it. if you are timed right check the compression of each cylinder with a tester. if you have good compression in each cylinder ( 100 psi is about average, and a 10 psi difference is enough to affect the preformance) start replacing ignition parts, starting with the coil.

Got it started and runs and idles ok but backfires, misses, and not all cylinders running properly. I have all vac lines taken care of. Either plugged or in use. I don't have a timing light right now so can't do that. I imagine the compression is off a little since this is such an old engine. My second engine had the compression off on two cylinders and still ran great. I think I have enough spark now just have to figure out the other problems now.

Kim.

Well, the engine runs and stays at idle but it is still off. Old Man, you had mentioned to me about putting a timing light on it and making sure the timing is right. What electrical has to be unplugged on the driver side? I won't be able to do this until tomorrow when I can get a timing gun. Hopefully after tomorrow I can drive this heep down the road.

Thank you everyone who has helped me with this. Much appreciated.

Kim.

Ok, got a timing gun on it and put it where it is supposed to be at 12.2. Still runs like crap.

All plugs and wires are where they are supposed to be.

Vac. lines are either plugged or in use.

I just don't know what to do now. I am going to take off the valve cover again to see if a valve is sticking. It has been mentioned before, could my ignition module cause my engine to run like this? We have tried just about everything else. Any opinions or suggestions are more than welcome.. TIA

Kim.

It is not backfiring out of the carb anymore. Just when I start the jeep, let it run for only a minute, then shut it off, and go to start it again right away it backfires extremely loud out the exhaust. Too much gas I would think. I am going to try and plug every vacuum port and see if it runs any different. If that doesn't work than it is time to swap carbs to see if that changes anything. Thanks for the help.

Kim.

Back