• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Squeak/Chirp

JarheadJon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj 4.0 with a cricket like squeak or short chirp coming from the engine bay that can be heard all the time. It corresponds with the engine RPM so it can be heard especially well at idle. I looked at the belt where I thought the sound could be coming from, but it looked to be in good shape. Does any one have any input as to what the ailment coould be?

Thanks
Jon

Probably one of the pulleys (water pump, idler, power steering, A/C, alternator). It can be hard to determine which. My buddy has replaced the water pump, power steering pump, and idler pulley on his 87 MJ, but still has the squeak. Good luck.

A chirping distributor is not a good thing. The cause is wear of the distributor drive gear and once it wears out completely, the gear won't mesh with the cam and the engine will just stall without being able to restart it.
Check that the distributor is mounted tightly to the block, and that the base of the distributor isn't cracked. You'll need to remove the distributor to change the gear but the procedure is easy enough.

Sounds like a belt. You might try using that "Belt Grip" spray to see if that stops the noise.

Mine 97 does the same thing. I'm thinking (hoping) it's the belt.

I'll try to figure out how to adjust it today.

How long does the pulley-driven parts usually last? PS pump, water pump, alt, etc...??

My "squeak" turned out to be the clutch on the AC going out... I had changed the idler pulley and belt, but the squeak was still there. Replaced the AC clutch and the squeak went away, and I got my AC back to boot....

On that note, how much does an AC compressor replacement cost?

When mine cycles on, it's more noisy that it used to be.

AC work is *way* beyond my ability....

TacticalFats said:
On that note, how much does an AC compressor replacement cost?

When mine cycles on, it's more noisy that it used to be.

AC work is *way* beyond my ability....

It ran me about $480 parts and labor. The clutch (about $230) and is a dealer only item.... at least I couldn't fine one anywhere else separately. When I had the work done, it was under the assurances from the dealer that the compressor was fine, and the clutch was the only part needing replacement. That's why I didn't pop for a whole new compressor at the time. Next time around I'll go for the whole unit because of the the miles it will have on it by then.

The squeak thing began around 42,000 some odd miles. By about 48,000 miles I couldn't keep the ac going because of the slipping/bad ac clutch. I just turned 80,000 miles on it, and it still works fine...

Ivan

Well, since I turned my 97 in to the stealership to have the fading fuel pump/module replaced. I had them check the chirp as well. Diagnosis is it is the belt. They would of fixed it for $110, but i said I can do that one. Thanks for all the input.

Jon

Back