• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Light = Transmission / Torque Converter Trouble

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
My engine light came on the other day, so I took my Jeep over to Autozone to have the codes read. Turns out I have something going on with my transmission or torque converter.

Question #1:
Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do? Any idea what that means?​

Question #2:
Has anyone had to replace their transmission? How much am I looking at?​

2000 XJ Sport 4.0L

I'm pretty sure the code was 0740. Does that make any sense?

Code:
Explanation
Cruise state: TCC unlocked for 10 sec., ECM commands
converter lock-up and did not record engine speed
drop
Probably cause
1. Low fluid level [COLOR="Red"](no leaks)[/COLOR]
2. Poor fluid quality [COLOR="red"](looks clean)[/COLOR]
3. Defective torque converter clutch
4. Internal transmission failure

My engine light came on the other day, so I took my Jeep over to Autozone to have the codes read. Turns out I have something going on with my transmission or torque converter.

Question #1:
Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do? Any idea what that means?
Question #2:
Has anyone had to replace their transmission? How much am I looking at?

The check engine light can be triggered for hundreds of reasons.

The guy at MY AutoZone just about had another customer talked in to buying a brand new crate engine because it was "smoking a little". IOW most of those guys don't jack about problem solving, just what the computer says.

You need the code number to figure out what's going on, could be simple as low fluid or a sensor or complicated as a new tranny

I just replaced my transmission. It cost me $300. It took me 2 months to do myself after work and on limited weekends. I'm not a mechanic, but it all works now.

Always include the year, model, engine, tranny and pertinent info in posts, please. We wanna help each other but need info. Put it in your signature line.

Edit: Good advice above, beat me to it!!

Watch your RPM's as the transmission (assuming aw4) shifts up to highway speeds. It it seems like your RPM's don't complete a final drop, the torque convertor may not be locking up like it's supposed to. I agree with the other replies that it could be solenoids.

I had a similar problem and it quit on its own, but I attributed it to a failing solenoid. If it comes back it will be the first thing I check after I drain and the transmission fluid and change the filter.

I really appreciate all the responses. I didn't even know there was a filter to change. :) It looks like a trans flush is in order. If that doesn't do it, I'll swap out the solenoids. Hopefully that'll do the trick. Thanks, again.

Back