• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions Questions

ausi02

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if having some upstream exhaust leaks (near the cat) will cause me to fail the emissions test?

Anyone in the golden/Lakewood/Arvada area have some rollers I could use on a saturday to get tested? I may have a set lined up but a back up plan never hurts. Thanks again wonderful NAXJA community

1) Depends on how bad the leaks are. Is the check engine light on?
2) Yes. Highway 58 runs past my back yard, giving you a straight shot to 44th & McIntyre.

X2..... depends on if the leaks can cause a significant loss of back pressure and flow. If it's just the typical header collector cracking and the cracking is thin, I've had a few pass just fine, but none have failed..... but I've replaced the big cracked headers prior to testing.

What size tire and gear ratio? It can be a risk to the engine going from a tall tire and deep gears to a small tire and letting those dyno-monkeys thrash on it at the high RPM part of the test.....

I have a set of 33's mounted just for e-testing.

What size tire and gear ratio? It can be a risk to the engine going from a tall tire and deep gears to a small tire and letting those dyno-monkeys thrash on it at the high RPM part of the test.....

I have a set of 33's mounted just for e-testing.
Good question! I have some 31s sitting here, waiting for the next time I can go to the mountians. :(

Well I am running 35's with 4.56 gears, AX-15. No CEL, but I can see the leak during the winter (its a universal CAT that I installed but apparently didn't weld it up 100%)
Hypoid, what size are your rollers? As Yella said I wouldn't wanna thrash it with tiny stockers, but I would imagine 32s or up would be fine.

EDIT: I see you have 31s, Yella what do you think? Too small?

Probably be ok with 31's since it's a 5 speed. But then again..... that just means the dyno-monkey will be responsible to shift it appropriately and not burn the 60 mph part of the test in 3rd gear....... :rolleyes:

You're welcome to borrow my 33's if you wanna swing down my way.

I think I am gonna give the 31's a go... Hypoid is just so close to the testing center... Thanks, if something falls through I will give you a holler Yella.

Hypoid you have a PM!

Got your PM, that day sounds good. I'll be sure to hollar if anything comes up.

Laugh all you want, Austin's XJ passed on the first try. :NAXJA::cheers:

Austin.jpg

Plan ahead and make sure you drive by the mobile stations a few of times a year and you won't need to get on the rollers.

Back