• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions Info

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
I figured some here might be interested in the numbers. I just got my '96 XJ emissioned today, and had a vague recollection of someone mentioning the lowering of allowable limits, so thought I'd share (please forgive if this is old news).

The previous test records I have are for '03, '05, and '07 (all for the same 1996 XJ, 4.0), unfortunately my records from '99 abd '01 are lost. The limits for my XJ were the same for all three tests, and are as follows:
For HC, CO, and NOx, limits were 4.0, 20.0, 9.0 (GPM) respectively.

Today, my report shows limits as:
HC, CO, NOx limits are 1.20, 15.0, 3.50 (GPM) respectively - pretty significant decrease.

I passed today, but am now wondering what the limits will be in 2011 when I must next allow a HS dropout to perform an exacting scientific experiment to determine precisely what chemicals (and in what amount) are being emitted by my vehicle, as driven according to a tightly regulated speed profile by a weed-drenched 18 yo who knows most of the alphabet.

Non-obnoxious version: Anyone know if the limits will be lowered again in the future? Not too much wiggle room left, and I'm not sure my 4.0 is polluting much worse than when it left the factory floor.

Took "HeepIII" in for the e-test this afternoon.........

The tech looked over the printout before giving it to me and said "holy crap!" He then starts showing it to other techs saying "Have any of you guys ever seen a 4 liter jeep run this clean?"

:D

Took "HeepIII" in for the e-test this afternoon.........

The tech looked over the printout before giving it to me and said "holy crap!" He then starts showing it to other techs saying "Have any of you guys ever seen a 4 liter jeep run this clean?"

:D

Thats how my red 96' was. The lady that finished up said "never seen this before, Keep a good tuneup on it and you will be good." I said shit...

The white jeep passed as well. But with a bad gas cap. He still let me go cause it was early enough that he hadn't been pissed off by any customers yet :D

Back