• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency please help!

i have know clue what reostat is or where that is need some help with that one.

Just starting at the most basic. The headlight switch pulls out one notch for parking (aka running) lights, two notches for headlights. It also turns on the interior (aka dome) lights when it is twisted or rotated all the way in one direction. While parking or headlights are on, it also makes the dash lights dimmer or brighter. If you have it turned (rotated) all the way the wrong way, the dash lights will not show at all. This is due to a "rheostat" built into the switch. This adds a variable resistance to the circuit to make the lights brighter or dimmer. :paperwork

Shorty, you are right of course -- how about Dot 3....

SinCity, when you replaced the headlight switch (assuming you did based on hubs97 post), did you replug the separate ground connection on the back of the switch? This provides a ground for the gauge cluster bulbs.

Good luck! If you didn't have an emergency before, I'm guessing that you do now.

After you guys figure this out can you please respond to my post
EMERGENCY OMFGIMGONNADIE : dome light out.

Thanks in advance

I havent had dome lights since the ragtop went in. Had no idea I have been living so dangerously.

In all honesty though this thread is on the same level as the lady that called 911 to find out what the hours for disneyland were. F'ing sad if you ask me.:explosion

I would suggest, based on this and your previous threads, to take the jeep to a shop and have them fix it, and watch if they'll let you.

no, the shop uses a proprietary procedure to flush, fill and bleed the blinker fluid system and does not allow observers to protect their trade secrets.

Sincity- did you ever replace(or even troubleshoot) the headlight switch when it was malfunctioning a few weeks ago? Guess what other lights it controls... Checked your battery lately, alternator output, cable connections, grounds, bulbs, fuses, etc etc? You seem to have a new electrical malfunction every time you touch it- some preventative maintenance is probably called for here...

come on now, do you think he could manage all that without someone holding his di€k for him? i think that his current capabilities are a little lower than preventative maintenance:dunce:

Two words......LED FLASHLIGHT! Seriously dude. its not hard to figure out!

!!!1sincity, i think that JU is more about your ability and comfort levels.

remove all the screws around the outside of the instrument cluster, Leave the clear plastic lens in place, no need to remove it. pull the entire cluster forward and tilt it toward the center of the jeep. reach around the left end and remove the big connector that you will see there. It has catches on the top and bottom. Once that connector is off, reach in a little farther and release/remove the other one that looks just like the first one. then tilt the cluster back toward the drivers door and reach around the right end and release the speedometer cable by depressing the ears on the sides of the round connector. be careful with the cable, the end is prone to separate from it. the instrument cluster should then come out with a little wiggling.
While the cluster is out, look at the top of your headllight switch and see if you have any broken wires or the connector is loose. the instrument lights are fed from the headlight switch.

Hey guys im not that bad i just havent had the time to really go in on my jeep cuz i still in the middle of my move and we both know a shop is really gonna over charge me on this so lets do this if your not gonna help dont answer
I need to know how i can fix my problem so far i need a new gauge now i thinking ebay for that
and i also need to fix the now gauge light situation so i gonna pull it out today and check for any messed up wiring
if i change yhe gauge will i no longer know how many miles is on my jeep?

Junkyard. While you're at it, you might want to grab a headlight switch. What happened with your headlights, by the way? Are they still working/not working/dim? Have you checked your grounds, battery connections, had AutoZone or some such place check alternator output and the battery, etc?

On page 93 0f the winter edition of "4X4 Garage" they describe your problem and how to fix it. With the general wrenching skills that I possess, I would take their advice and call Bryden Motors in Beloit WI and ask them for advice (800-727-9336). The article mentions the specific part numbers you need and even the Technical Service Bulletin from 08-15-99 that describes the repair. Call me and I'll read you the whole article, it is very short. Paul 708-267-0592

Check your connection at the plug going into the cluster then then at the firewall with a DVOM. I would say check bulbs but if I remember right there's more than one lighting up the cluster... meaning a short/surge/connection/bad fuse. Surge would blow out the bulbs if they're on the same circuit and your fuse would be blown or faulty for some reason. It could be the oxidation issue I've read about maybe.... if this is the case just hit the top of the dash at the cluster pretty good and they'll work for a while (clean your contacts) but don't know this is the case with the bulbs not working. Just my .02

You want a Haynes/Chilton/TSM manual to do the testing accurately.

yep. a slammed rice burner tuner would suite you nicely

Hey you leave the VW's out of this. He should get a Hyundai, put some huge rims and a body kit and go race somebody! :D

Did you ever try rotating the headlight switch to see if it's in the right position to make the dash lights come on? The rheostat thing?

hey winterbeater i need you man i got some knew info that might help i dont have my fsm i working on getting it back though i have to geet my pc up and running.
but from what i can see in the haynes manual, the fuse with 5v is for the intrument cluster and in that socket for the fuse with 5v theres no power at all
now i change the headlight switch like everyone said and i made sure the wires were tightly on specially the back ground wire.
after changing the headlight switch and pulling it to turn on the headlights
i can see the highbeam indicator is on, in the center of the intrument cluster
So i have my headlights on highbeams this has to be dangerous!! lol
- problem with that is my highbeam switch doesnt seem to be engaging anything.
so its not turning them off!

Back