• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Question

HotwiredXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought a 94' sport

On test drive, I noticed the heater/blinkers worked a little bit, then stopped working, dude knocked off a couple of hundred for that.

Got home, and noticed a purple or violet (partially color blind) wire that was sorta loose. I grabbed it, and it fell out from under the dash. At this point, the blinkers/blower and dash lights were not working, or even trying to work.

This morning, I went out and tried to find the home for Mr Purple wire. I found a plug up under the dash on top of the column that had at least 3 other similar gauge wires in it. One was red... There was an empty socket in there, so I jammed this wire in there. I tried the blinkers, and blower, they work now, great right?

Now with the key off, everything seems to work. Dash lights are not working, but that could be anything, not worried about that right now. Just want to be able to make sure my Battery isn't drained when I get up in the morning, this is sorta a DD until I can sell my over priced Audi.

I can get some low angle pics if this would help, but I don't know how clear they would be. Could this be an ignition switch issue, I have seen posts where nothing is working due to the switch, but not the other way around. Also the Buzzer box if missing so, that could indicate a ignition switch issue, I would think.

My heater and blinkers stop working after our meet and greet this past weekend. So you are saying that with the key in the off postition the blower and blinkers still work?

Where exactly did you plug in Mr Purple?

There are some exceptions, but the wire color usually stays the same in and out of a connector. The only commonality I can think of for the heater circuit and the blinker circuit is the ignition switch. Maybe the connector plug at the switch is loose and/or has some backed out pins.

This is for a 96 it may be the same or similar. Violet is for the heater, orange is for the blinker. If this isn't close, I have the diagrams for a 93 someplace, they may be more accurate.

116nbzb.png

344v8g2.png

Well I just checked in my 93 FSM. There is a purple wire (they call it Violet) that runs from the ign switch to the fuse box and powers the items you list. The diagrams show it only has power in the key ON position.

So, assuming we're talking about the same wire, it's either plugged into the wrong connection (has pwer all the time), or your switch is bad.

Here's a "snapshot" of the diagram
93VIO-Wire.jpg

Since it's a bit hard to read, here's another with the purple drawn in.

93VIO-Wire-1.jpg

Ok, I am half frost bitten, but I got my ignition switch changed tonight, and believe it or not...my Violet wire is hot coming from the ignition switch wether the key is on or not...
I have checked all the fuses, and except for the ones that are not there, there are not any hard wired loops or anything to that degree.

The only thing I can think of at this point is the "Key" ignition switch, but that seems highly improviable.

Anyone want to take a swing at this?

Did you check the connector when you replaced the switch? It could be cracked and shorted internally.

If you look at 8Mud's diagram is shows the VT (I'm guess this is Violet) next to the Red (fused B+).

This is a dead post, but I found my flaw...
My connector that connects red, black, violet, and 2 others, which is blue in color, seems to have a broken piece missing off of it. I went and bought a new ignition switch because I was pissed, I noticed when I was test fitting it, that there was a connector tab that wasn't being used.

Make a long story short, there is a hole in the blue connector that isn't used on a 94' sport, maybe for power seats, who knows, anyway, I was using that for purple, which was creating the issues from the beginning. I used some zip ties and made it work.

Back