• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issues with lights/signals

brielly

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 xj has several issues that may or may not be related. First, when I hit the brakes my odometer light goes out. Also when braking the front turn signal lights come on (solid not blinking). The blinkers work but when the headlights are on the right rear flashes quickly and blinks but is dim and the entire light housing seems to be lighting up and blinking together. Weird stuff. I already replaced the bulbs but no luck. Am I looking at a relay, flasher, switch or possibly a ground issue? I'm hoping someone can give me a good starting point. Thanks in advance!

I would start by renewing all grounds in the lighting system. Grounding issues can cause strange effects.
A FSM for your year XJ will have information on the locations of the various grounding points.

Is there a trailer wiring adapter ? If so, remove it. Start with inspecting and cleaning the lighting grounds and bulb sockets, all over the vehicle. Inspect the rear wiring located behind the spare tire and the plastic trim. Clean the ground, inspect for damage or corrosion, and check the relays if any are present.

standard.jpg

I just found a diagram indicating one ground is under the passenger seat. I just replaced the floor pan and seat mount where the ground is attached and I'm guessing that ground isn't making good contact with clean metal. My fault for being in a rush. That will hopefully solve the rear right blinker issue. As for the rest, I guess i'll check/clean as many grounds as I can find.

The ground under the seat solved the blinker issue but the other problem still exists. I checked the grounds and connectors behind the spare tire. All were in good shape, cleaned the grounds anyway. Found a bad connector on the passenger side and rewired it. Problem still exists. All bulbs and sockets are good. Cleaned the grounds near the air filter under the hood as well. I noticed that the headlight/dimer switch when turned all the way to the right would keep the odometer light from going out when hitting the brakes. In the last few days it has stopped doing that. Could this switch be going bad and causing the problem?

If the taillight wires are all OK, move on to the tailgate wire harness and the driver door wire harness. A short circuit to ground on wither one can introduce 12 volts positive to lots of place it should not be present. I do not usually recommend installing random new parts as a diagnostic process unless one has good used parts on hand, or the new part is inexpensive. You could try a different headlight switch they are not expensive or difficult to replace.

I don't know how much of an issue it is for late models, but for my '96 it made a world of difference to add relays for my headlights, thereby taking most of the load off the headlight switch.

Chrysler was not at all generous with wire sizing. Add a few years for a bit of extra resistance to develop in aging wiring, a bit of heat to go along with that, and then it seems things don't work so well anymore.

It would at least be worth your while to get to the back of the switch and give it and the wiring a good examination. Look for any indications of heat.

Back