• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric go cart project need help

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Was at the junkyard and picked up a pedal powered go cart. I happen to have a endless supply of 12v car batteries and a brand new 1/3 HP 110v motor. Any ideas how I can make this motor work off 12 or 24v dc ? I know I could buy an inverter but a 1000w plus inverter is big money.

Hope can I make this motor work

Lol. Just parts sitting near each other and the light bulb went off foot something to keep me busy. I have access to very very cheap junkyard parts. Just no idea how to get 12v to 110 with out spending a pile of money

Lol. Just parts sitting near each other and the light bulb went off foot something to keep me busy. I have access to very very cheap junkyard parts. Just no idea how to get 12v to 110 with out spending a pile of money
There isn't a cheap way to do it. You would be better off using a starter motor. Have you thought about how to control the speed? While not horribly hard if you have the electronics knowledge, without it, I would say it is going to be impossible on the cheap.

There isn't a cheap way to do it. You would be better off using a starter motor. Have you thought about how to control the speed? While not horribly hard if you have the electronics knowledge, without it, I would say it is going to be impossible on the cheap.

Just use an ESC from an RC car :p

I also want to make an electric go slow cart for my toddlers. I'd be up a little joint development build thread. I have an old craftsman riding mower transaxle that's been burning a hole under my bench....it was going to be a riding cooler for the races but then the birds and the bees happened.

I also agree that you will need dc power. It's tough to efficiently run an ac motor as a variable speed drive,

I saw some threads where they were converting 4 wheelers to electric and it cost a few grand when they are done.

You would be better off with a dc motor.
If you dont want to mess with a controller you could vary speed with a series of contactors and large resistors. Its primitive but it is still used today in some equipment.

I would check around for a place that parts out lift trucks, a pallet jack or taylor dunn drive system would be easy to adapt. Golf carts are good donors too.

Dang, I donated 2 electric scooters to goodwill about 6 monthhs ago.
motors would have worked well for a homebrew power wheels

Back