• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Question

MailmanDan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 XJ 4.0 (factory right hand drive from Scotland). It's temp gauge is in Celsius so it reads 40 at far left(cold), 100 at center, 125 at far right (hot).
It typically runs at or just below 100, which is 212f (boiling point of water).
On a warm to hot day it will sometimes go over 100c by maybe a few degrees and when that happens, I get instant rough idle and hesitation until the temp gets back to 100c. This occurs mostly when I stop to deliver my mail and shut off the engine for a few minutes, then upon restart the engine temp has risen to just over 100 and runs rough. This is more frequent when I use the 10% Ethanol mix gas (here in Iowa it is 30 cents a gallon cheaper). I have read about the problem in the fuel injectors (2 and/or 3) which get over heated and the gas vaporizes, causing rough running till vapor is cleared, and I think that is likely the culprit. When I turn off the engine, the electric fan does NOT stay on to cool and prevent "heat soak".
Recently, for a day or 2, the electric fan came on and ran after I shut it off, reducing or preventing the heat soak. I realized that for as long as I remember, the fan has NOT been running after shut down, even though it runs when engine is on.
SO MY QUESTION IS, what is the controller for the fan running after shut off? I would like to fix or replace whatever is preventing it from doing what it was made to do. This would seem to be some relay or sensor or other electronic control. How can I test the possible culprits?
I am going to replace the injectors with the neon injectors, add heat shielding and replace the exhaust manifold as it has a crack.
Thanks!

But mine DID run after shutdown for a few days and occasionally. That suggests that it is made to, but is not functioning properly. Many vehicles do this by design. How would you or I know if the 1998 XJ for UK market does or does not? If it does not, then what causes mine to do so occasionally? Either way, I would like to hear more about the aftermarket kits to make fan run to thermostatic control, not manual on/off switch. Thanks!

Last edited:
A Flex-a-Lite Variable Speed Controller will run a electric fan 30 seconds after engine shut off. I've this and a OE elec. fan controlled by a CT sensor and PCM.

Last edited:
The fan could very well be programmed and wired to run after the engine is shut down from the factory providing certain parameters are met. In my country (the British Caribbean) there are several XJ's imported from England and their electronics work a little different than the one I own here in the US. Or, assuming you bought it used could have been changed by the previous owner.

Did you by any chance turn the key all the way to the accessory position?

Thanks techno1154! I did buy it used, I don't think anything was changed by previous owner, I have found many things that are "a little different" from USA Market XJ's and the Haynes Manuals, event from the UK XJ Haynes Manual.
I will try with the key in the AUX position and see if that works.
As I recall, I had removed my key after shut off and the e-fan ran on for 5-10 minutes.

Back