• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Not Turning On

Well, I fixed it. The problem was the NAPA parts. I guess they just aren't made to the right specifications. I've been through two sensors from NAPA and neither would kick the fan on. I put in one from Kragen and it works like it should. My advice is not to buy NAPA P/N TS3001SB. It's still really hard to believe that was the problem, but it's pretty clear that it was. The resistance of the NAPA sensor was just too high.

For the people who chimed in with similar problems, I doubt this is your issue, but I hope some of the info in this thread is helpful.

To everyone who offered advice, thank you. I really appreciate it. Especially those who helped me understand and test the electrical system.

I have the exact same problem, bought the exact same sensor from napa 2 weeks ago. I checked the resistance and had the same results. I going to try the new sensor, hope it works.

I too have the same problem and used the same NAPA part to try to fix the problem. I'm going to check the specs of the NAPA part, and replace with the Kragen unit. Thanks for reporting this and your footwork!

I pick up the delphi sensor from napa. I put it on and tried to get the engine hot, after about 30 mintues of of driving and idling in 94 degree weather with a floormat covering the front of the grill finally got the e-fan to come on. The temp has to come up to a little more than half way between the 210 and the 3/4 mark before it comes on, is this normal? Once it comes on it goes down to 210 pretty fast.

I'm using the HD fan clutch upgrade too since I sit in NYC traffic alot.

I pick up the delphi sensor from napa. I put it on and tried to get the engine hot, after about 30 mintues of of driving and idling in 94 degree weather with a floormat covering the front of the grill finally got the e-fan to come on. The temp has to come up to a little more than half way between the 210 and the 3/4 mark before it comes on, is this normal? Once it comes on it goes down to 210 pretty fast.

I'm using the HD fan clutch upgrade too since I sit in NYC traffic alot.

normalish. Most of the ones I've seen come on right at 215-220 and stay on until the temp gauge goes back to 200.

but I'm not an authority, cause my junk didn't even have an e-fan from the factory.

I pick up the delphi sensor from napa. I put it on and tried to get the engine hot, after about 30 mintues of of driving and idling in 94 degree weather with a floormat covering the front of the grill finally got the e-fan to come on. The temp has to come up to a little more than half way between the 210 and the 3/4 mark before it comes on, is this normal?
Yeah that's right. For the top half, it's 210 in the middle and 260 at the extreme, so the 3/4 mark is going to be about 235, and halfway to that is about 222. The exact kick-on point varies by year but it's between 215 and 220 for all of them so that is close. Also note that the gauge isn't linear and the lower part of the sweep moves faster than the upper part, so the numbering won't be exact

Last edited:
Interesting, I put a BW WT3027 in my 95 a couple of months ago, started having massive starting and idle problems a few weeks back, and it turns out this POS sensor has gone bad already. Maybe a bad production run? Edit: Oh, I see the other failures were from Napa... although that part is made by the same manufacturer that makes the BW part (Standard Motor Products).

-E

Last edited:
Back