• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR problem ?

jovian

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 Renix 4.0l, with AW4 auto, swapped into a 1993 Jeep Wrangler.
Runs good when cold. AFTER WARMUP,
1) starts missing occasionally while driving down the road.
2) When coming to a stop, it runs rough, and dies.
3) Always starts after it dies.

I have replaced cap, rotor, distributor, TPS, Crank PS, plugs, ignition wires,
idle control stepper motor, coil/ignition contol module.

Book (HAYNES) says the EGR can cause these symptoms.
The vacuume hose is not connected to EGR. But none of the emissions controls
are connected correctly on this engine, because it is not installed in stock
vehicle. I swapped this engine into a Jeep wrangler years ago and has, until
recently, run fine.

So my question is, how to disconnect, meaning REMOVE, EGR valve/system (what is EGR block-off plate?)

Thanks for your help!

THE DISCUSSION OF DEFEATING LEGALLY-MANDATED EMISSIONS CONTROLS IS NOT PERMITTED ON NAXJA.

I recommend you try Google.

I had the same symptoms... Went through a ton of trouble and some cash. Check your fuel pressure, your fuel pump dying out has of your symptoms.
I pulled my pump and found that the fuel tube had corroded away inside the tank, along with the filter screen being clogged up.
Anything below the recommended fuel pressure will mess with your engine.

Emissions devices are your friend if you like to remain legal. Every time I pull into a shop they all laugh at my EGR block I made in order to adapt the EGR to a '99 intake. Legal is good.

When i changed my exhaust manifold the egr tube did not line up. I capped the intake and manifold until i could get the tube altered to fit. I did not notice any difference. Short term fix though.

Back