• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EEK, Plasma help

time2getdirty

my cats breath smells
NAXJA Member
Hey guys. I am tired of trying to do all of my projects with a 4.5" grinder with cut off discs. I am making bumpers now for my friends, so I am generally only going to be cutting 1/4" and down, but occasionally will try to hack 1/2. I have a nice miller welder, and would love to get a miller plasma cutter, but being 15 (turning 16 on Monday!), I don't have much money! A local ranch supply store carries Hobarts, and if I buy new, I will probably buy one of them, just because the store is close (for consumables) and they are relatively cheap. I need it to be 220, cut 1/4 fast, and be cheap (I am hoping to spend under 900). I know a plasma cutter is like a welder and that I should save up and buy American, because you get what you pay for, but I wont have that kind of money until the end of summer at the earliest. :doh:

I have been surfing my local forums and craigslist, and this seems interesting. I have found consumables and all that, but no actual specs on these machines. what do you all say?
http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2370745711.html

Should I suffer though a summer of constant fabrication without one, or buy a crappy one knowing I am going to have to upgrade at a later time in order to do it right?

Thanks for any help
David

why do you NEED 220?
Led's 110 lincoln cuts 1/4" no problem.....

if you spend just over 1k you can get the miller like Stang has that is either 110 or 220 compatible.... and it walks through 1/2"

What miller does he have? And 220 because the 110 out in my garage sucks and always gets overloaded and it gets annoying going out to the back to reset everything.

If I could get a miller for just over a grand that will do that, I will start working my but off right away!

just hardwire an extension specifically for the plasma. then it wont kick the breaker. Its what we had to do at the hanger.

I dont know the specific model he has. think they are like 1200 tho :dunno:

Wiring is in question right now, after wiring the 220 for the garage, the box is almost out of room (That's what my dads electrician friend says anyway, electrical work is over my head), but we will be trying to do some more 110 out there, the air compressor is the biggest load that usually trips the breaker so it needs its own.

I will ask him what his is.

Thanks for the help Mike!

Back