• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECTED ???

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any input on this differential? I am building a Dana 60 and considering either the ECTED or a Detroit Soft Locker.

Let me know.
:yap:

A guy in our chapter, Team Willys, installed two of them in his Ranger (XJ D30 front, 8.8 Ford rear. He had problems with his locking and unlocking. He switched to ARB's and has been very happy since.

I have one in my daughter's TJ. Very happy for a year, then it died. Now have no limited slip, no lock up. I'm putting a 8.8 LS in in the next two weeks.

Of the people I know that have them, they work great. I would go with an OX locker VS them tho.

I think I recall OX lockers even having the option of electric or air operation now.

I do have the ECTED in the D44 rear. I have not done any off road since I have it,...the gear ratio is different front to back. It do lock up every time I want it to lock up and work good with the 30" tires I am running. I takes a while to un-lock though. According to the manual, it take a while for the magnet to de-magnetize after the switch is turned off. Knowing that, I do not worry about it remainng locked (for a minute or two) after I turn the switch off.

I will not be using the ECTED in the D30 when I re-gear it. I will go either with the Eaton E-Locker or the OX. I do hate the what people say about running the cable for the OX from the D30 to the interior of the XJ. :(

I got the ected locker on the rear D44, Im running 35s and beat the hell out of it. Does not skip a beat! If they are set up right you wont have problems, Lotta people use the wrong oil. Been over a year and its still going strong.

ECTED= (n)

E-Locker= :thumbup:

Or even better a set of ARB's. I love my front ARB in my Hp44, I am going to be doing one in my 8.8 shortly to swap out my Detroit. A friend of mine ran an ECTED and it sucked! Seriously the thing would pop unlocked all the time, and when it was shown as 'on' it wouldn't be fully locked up. It went from a limited slip to a stronger limited slip when it locked up.

-Alex

Or even better a set of ARB's. I love my front ARB in my Hp44, I am going to be doing one in my 8.8 shortly to swap out my Detroit. A friend of mine ran an ECTED and it sucked! Seriously the thing would pop unlocked all the time, and when it was shown as 'on' it wouldn't be fully locked up. It went from a limited slip to a stronger limited slip when it locked up.

-Alex

Maybe your friend needed to do some research before he bought the ECTED. It is as you said 'a limited slip and a tighter limited slip'. I would not use one with large tires or a powerful engine/low gear combination. I bought mine for the limited slip ability not for the "locker" ability. If the ECTED was not available I would have bought a good limited slip and call it a day. None-the-less, the early ones seem to be extermly problematic. That gave the ECTED a bad name. I am yet to wheel mine but it have proformed well in all the tests I have put it through. Oh, and it need a good friction modyfier to stop the poping.

Now for the front, I want nothing but a full selectable locker either an OX or the Eaton E-Locker. The OX with the electric shift being my prefered selection.

Back