• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ected or Elocker

I am running an Ected in the rear and have no complaints. I installed it just before going to Moab this spring. Ran lots of difficult trails for two weeks and it performed flawlessly. It was installed by a friend of mine and myself in my garage. Set up was not an issue. I regeared and replaced bearings and seals all at the same time. I would recommend it. As far as the oil additive thing goes, you have to decide for yourself its a big deal to go to a GM or Ford dealership and buy a small bottle.

I have been using a LSD (OEM type) with independent emergency brake cables and handles. It's not a locker but It comes close.
Easier on the drive train (IMO)
Turns sweet on snow.
Down side:
Can be a real hand full to keep up with when you through in a 5 speed and a barking dog.

But when offing becomes easy. I will walk.
I am also the king of making bad ideas work.

Shogun said:
I dont fully understand everything about these, in terms of durability/strength, so I am watching this thread.

seems to me there are two areas of concern;
1. method of locking (air, electric solonoid, mechanical)
2. quality of operation either locked or unlocked (noise, vibration, % lock, strength)

In consideration 1, it would appear that electric is the quickest/easiest install, and simplest operation (from a systems standpoint), while mechanical would be the most reliable, and air being the worst of all methods. There must be something in 2 that makes air the most common method?

Any comments on E locker?
the reason the ARB is most popular is it was first on the market by a long stretch. It is a conventional differential with a straight spur gear cut on one of the side gears. when it engages, the side gear is locked to the case.
As I understand it, the Eaton is a TruTrac with a solonoid that locks the worm gears. It acts as a LSD when not engaged. The lock on the worm gears are not as robust as the ARB design.

after taking my previously owned ARB apart to service it and put new parts in it, i can say that they really thought it through, and that comes from being on the market for so long. if you set it up correctly, and use real air lines (braided steel or ARB heavy duty line, not that blue crap they send you) you shouldn't have any problems. and all parts are available individually, even the case parts. it will be the only selectable locker I run.

cal said:
Then do not run a limited slip. The perk of an ected is its a limited slip when unlocked, and locked when locked (or rather, the tension on the clutches is turned WAY up, and if setup properly, will not release). That, and its electric - no air lines or compressor to deal with.

Let me be clear, I run ARB's front and rear on my rig, although I did have an ected in the past. If there was a 30 spline dana 30 ected or a 35 spline dana 44 ected, they would be in my rig.

I agree I would not run a limited slip, If I were to use a selectable in the rear it would most likely be an ARB at this point. It might happen if I get a new front axle and decide to go deeper. I was interested in an Ected but not now knowing that its friction based, I want something mechanically locked.

Back