• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

East Texas Wheelers

Dfete1

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Palestine Tx.(near Tyler) and I'm trying to find local Xj owners. It's pretty lonely wheelin by myself and most of the hicks around here drive $50,000 4x4 diesel duallies.
I am new to the off road genre of driving and would like to find some experienced Jeepers to play with. I'm not gay, just bored.:eyes: I'm in a stock 91 4 door, but suspension will come soon. Holler back.

I'm not sure how far I am. I'm in the North east part of texas. It's about 2 hours NW of Dallas if that helps. I'm pretty much in the middle of BFE.

I'd do some searching and find a four wheel drive club in your area. It's a great way to meet folks that are into wheeling too. Find a family oriented club and start from there. I used to wheel by myself, and I learned more by joining a club in 3 months than I had by wheeling alone for 3 years.

Here's a link I found after a brief google search. http://www.texasoffroad.net/home/kickass.php

Find a club and get to wheeling, if you don't like that club or it is too family oriented, at least you have your foot in the door and can progress from there.

Happy Wheeling.

I think BMRA in Gilmer is the closest legal place for you to wheel. Lone Star Jeep Club will be making a couple runs out there this year along with several runs to other great wheelin places. Also a great bunch of people to help you with any needs. www.lonestarjeepclub.org

Dfete1 said:
I'm not sure how far I am. I'm in the North east part of texas. It's about 2 hours NW of Dallas if that helps. I'm pretty much in the middle of BFE.

Just a geographical note: It's 2 hours NW to Dallas. Palestine is SE of Dallas.

palestinelt7.jpg

I don't know about wheeling. I didn't get my XJ built up, and now I'm in a stock ZJ. Good luck, anyway.

Dfete1 said:
:sad1: That's what I meant.

That's what I figured. I'm down south of you, but I haven't been wheeling so there really was no point in my posting to your thread except that I was here and the work that I'm doing right now is really mind numbing so I post once in a while just to stay awake :laugh2:. Anyway, when I do get something built, you'll have to show me what you've found out as far as wheeling in East Texas (not that I'm gay or anything).

Im down here in Houston/Galveston area. My xj sits most of the year until we go to Big Bend or Moab. Im going in May. Its 1300 miles from here. Get used to driving because anything cool is far away. Also check out Shiloh Ridge around Lufkin. Havent been but I hear its decent. Might be a mudpit though.

gregg75 said:
Im down here in Houston/Galveston area. My xj sits most of the year until we go to Big Bend or Moab. Im going in May. Its 1300 miles from here. Get used to driving because anything cool is far away. Also check out Shiloh Ridge around Lufkin. Havent been but I hear its decent. Might be a mudpit though.

A 'ridge' a mudpit? Yes, in East Texas that is possible. As I say, I haven't been wheeling, but I do drive in the woods, and it is possible to find a mudpit almost anywhere.

gilmer, hot springs, clayton, none are too terribly far from ya. Might want to keep an eye on www.bayoujeepersoffroad.com and see when the next time it is we head to gilmer.

Try googling a site called texasjeepcorps.org they are central Tx around Austin/San Antonio but they have places to wheel all over the state. I'm new to Tx wheelin also and am 350 miles south of Houston...at the very end of the earth. THat club has a half dozen places to wheel on their website.

we've got a club here in nacogdoches, tx. SFA four by four, and old town roughriders, i think its about an hour from you JAKE

You know If some more of you guys would join naxja and the existin members would look in the members forum I am trying to get a Texas chapter started. I have been in several offroad clubs over the years and have plenty of experience getting one running right.

BIgDaddyChia said:
You know If some more of you guys would join naxja and the existin members would look in the members forum I am trying to get a Texas chapter started. I have been in several offroad clubs over the years and have plenty of experience getting one running right.

You need to talk to the guy who just moved to Beaumont.

Stand-by for a link...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=916715

There ya' go.

Last edited:
Ramsey said:
gilmer, hot springs, clayton, none are too terribly far from ya.

I agree with him, those are the best places to go around there. "Shiloh Ridge" is mainly mud, but it has a few decent trails. Old Towne Rough Ryders are out of Nacogdoches, and they go to all those places as well. If u want to know more u can contact my buddy Cody at 936-371-1460 and he can answer any questions. -CB

Back