• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Locker for the 8.25"... Who wants it??

Why not just get a no slip? Mine works awesome, dead silent on the street. I wouldn't want to run any bigger then a 35 on an 8.25 anyway, I don't think you'll have issues with 35s and a lunchbox locker with an 8.25 unless you really beat on it hard. The housing is very rigid which helps out with ring gear deflection, I've yet to hear of 8.25 gear breakage.

Ahem...

Setup was:
C8.25
no-slip locker
4.56 gears
35" MT/R-K
stock shafts

2010-12-20_16-20-46_235.jpg

2010-12-20_16-20-57_889.jpg

That's two teeth missing on two different spots on the ring gear. I drove 3 hrs home on this too, didn't know the problem til weeks later when I pulled the cover. These gears were about 3 years old. Most of the time, I had 32's, but upgraded to 35's about 6 months before this happened. The actual cause, I have no idea. If I did everything over again, I'd just throw a detroit in the rear end, but the no-slip has served me very well on the trails and is still in there with a new gear set.

Wow sunburned thats nuts!

I run 4.88s with my no slip but really haven't had a good chance to beat it hard. I have run the 4.88s for a bit and so far so good, the no slip was just to good of a deal to pass up.

Wow sunburned thats nuts!

Yeah, I'm not known for taking it easy on my Jeep. I try not to skimp on drivetrain parts because I know these things take a beating and being on 35's is pretty close to the limit of these axles.

Plus the guys I usually wheel with are running 1-ton axles and 39.5" Rockers, so I have to beat on it pretty hard to keep up with them.

I know how you feel, I am locked front and rear on 35's and I usually following V8 truggies on 40's. 35's are nothing these days.

Yeah, I'm not known for taking it easy on my Jeep. I try not to skimp on drivetrain parts because I know these things take a beating and being on 35's is pretty close to the limit of these axles.

Plus the guys I usually wheel with are running 1-ton axles and 39.5" Rockers, so I have to beat on it pretty hard to keep up with them.

Would you say that the setup was dead on? I honestly think thats the first time I've heard of an 8.25 gear failure, I've seen your vids from you at rausch from another post a while back and your not afraid of the fun pedal! I gas it hard if/when I need to but its my DD and rausch is 3 hours from home, I need to be able to get it back home somehow by the end of the day. I went with Yukon cus I was told its top notch and read on basically any car site that yukon gears are high quality stuff, for the price I paid for those 4.88s (especially for the 8.25) they better last. I also had the best shop do the install, paid a premium price but I know the work they do and the time they put into it.

What trails where you running the day you broke it?

Yeah, I think the setup was good. Like I said, those gears were about 3 years old and probably had 40k miles on them and a few dozen wheeling trips. Never had any whine or anything previously. The guy who installed them is a friend of mine and an ASE master tech, so he knows his stuff. Runs his own custom shop on the side of his mechanic job. The gears were setup knowing that I would be putting a lot of road miles on them, plus wheeling them hard because he installed the locker at the same time. The gears were Precision I believe. You are right though, I don't think I've ever seen another broken 8.25 ring gear on any forum.

I know your pain, I've only had the pleasure of trailering my Jeep once when our club went down to Harlan, KY to wheel Black Mountain. That was an 8 hr trip and no way I was driving the Jeep that far to wheel. Every time I've been to Rausch, I've driven the Jeep there and back, about 3 hrs or so. I can't remember all the trails we did the weekend I broke it, but I do remember we did 'shoot the moon' in the quarry at the beginning of the day. I wouldn't doubt it if it broke there because I was straight hammering on it to get up that obstacle. I made it all the way to the last rock at the top and couldn't get over because I didn't have the approach angle to clear it.

BTW, this is what happens when your gears aren't setup correctly, not enough teeth engagement. Ran Pennsyltucky for our last trail of the day at Gore (Big Dogs), and on the last climb, the D30 went kablooie

61809_968646193158_5719488_51977629_3287640_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back