• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Locker for the 8.25"... Who wants it??

xj^REMY

NAXJA Forum User
Well, we have to show the demand... It's what drives a consumer based business... Strength in numbers... & with as many XJ owners out there, & clubs, companies, & forums devoted to all that is XJ, I'm sure we can get

I, with possibly a few others, e-mailed Eaton showing my interest in the D30 E-locker, & a desire for one in the 8.25"... They simply wrote back saying "the D30 e-locker is a great choice for a selectable locker, blah, blah"... No mention of anything in the works, or that more demand is needed to produce one for the 8.25"... I'm sure requests for a new product to be manufactured & produced, for a company like Eaton (creator of "posi-trac", who make all types electronics, hydraulics, & many other sub-divisions), has to have the demand in the thousands, possibly tens of thousands

I've got my heart set on E-lockers, front & rear, & would rather not have to swap in an 8.8 or D44 to get one.

So, anybody else that feels like me, spread the word, show interest... LETS TRY!

Email: [email protected]

Good luck. I was going to get an e-locker for the D30, but I didn't want to have to cut my brand new $800 axle shafts to make it fit.

No problems with my no-slip in the rear, so I'll just stick with that for now.

I run an E-locker, if you are running a disco housing you MIGHT need to grind 1/16 to 1/8 off the end of an axle.
My yukon alloys slid right in. I talked a bunch of guys before I bought mine and nobody had any issues with stock 1 piece or alloy shafts.
Who the hell is going to put $750 locker in a disc housing and run stock 2 piece shafts anyways? Its a non issue.
I'm would have been happy with an ARB or OX but I could not justify spending more on a more complicated setup.
I wired my E-locker in minutes.

Last edited:
I work for Eaton. Good luck getting anything done this century.

My godfather works for them up in the Raleigh/Wake Forest Area. Does production control and database stuff for them last I talked to him. His complaints about the company mirror yours.

Welp, guess we can go ahead and lock this one up.

Good luck. I was going to get an e-locker for the D30, but I didn't want to have to cut my brand new $800 axle shafts to make it fit.

No problems with my no-slip in the rear, so I'll just stick with that for now.

never heard of this issue... how'd this come up for u? disco housing?

I work for Eaton. Good luck getting anything done this century.

My godfather works for them up in the Raleigh/Wake Forest Area. Does production control and database stuff for them last I talked to him. His complaints about the company mirror yours.

well effin a!... i've got my eyes on 8.8's, but thought with enough push, we could maybe get them to provide a e-locker case that fits inside the 8.25" diff housing, mate to the ring gear, & correct 29 spline inputs... i mean, i'm no engineer, but how much do the cases differ from differential to differential (other than what i just said)

If they'd build one, I'd buy it.

thats the thing man, we have to make them build it... they wont just start producing out of the blue... only reason they'll even consider it (maybe), is if there's a huge demand

Don't waste your time, ARB is the way to go for a locker in an 8.25.
They built it, we buy it.
For Eaton to to produce a locker for the 8.25 is like waking up 10 years late...

Don't waste your time, ARB is the way to go for a locker in an 8.25.
They built it, we buy it.
For Eaton to to produce a locker for the 8.25 is like waking up 10 years late...

but i waaant it! :rattle:

i dont want to deal with air lines, compressor, & locker... not to mention complete rebuild, gears, shafts, etc... it might just end up being an 8.8 when the funds are available... 31 spline, discs, pinion diameter comparable to a d60... i guess its a no brainer...

What about an OX locker for the rear?

Why not just get a no slip? Mine works awesome, dead silent on the street. I wouldn't want to run any bigger then a 35 on an 8.25 anyway, I don't think you'll have issues with 35s and a lunchbox locker with an 8.25 unless you really beat on it hard. The housing is very rigid which helps out with ring gear deflection, I've yet to hear of 8.25 gear breakage.

Did I miss something? I have an e-locker for my D30 front...fit nicely. I also have an Ected E-Locker for my 8.8 rear...love 'em both.

What frank said, oh and the OP was asking about the 8.25. So yes, you missed a few things.

There's a toyota 9" with an e locker in it for sale in the sec fs forum. Buy it. Or one like it.

thats an 8"... cool set-up tho, didnt put much thought into swapping in an axle with a factory e-locker

Why not just get a no slip? Mine works awesome, dead silent on the street. I wouldn't want to run any bigger then a 35 on an 8.25 anyway, I don't think you'll have issues with 35s and a lunchbox locker with an 8.25 unless you really beat on it hard. The housing is very rigid which helps out with ring gear deflection, I've yet to hear of 8.25 gear breakage.

cuz all the cool kids have selectable lockers:rtm:... probably stickin to 33s on locked factory axles... 44/9 one day, for the bigger shoes

Did I miss something? I have an e-locker for my D30 front...fit nicely. I also have an Ected E-Locker for my 8.8 rear...love 'em both.

u missed that we all need to demand from eaton a true electrically selectable mechanical locker for the 8.25:wantyou:

The Auburn ECTED is not a mechanical locker and certainly is not an E-Locker.

Eaton makes the e-Locker, Auburn does not.

[/Hijack]

boom... ECTED = Electrically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential... i've heard mixed feedback

Back