• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Brake Cable Question

classic96xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping in a dana 35 out of a 89 xj into my 97 sport with a C 8.25 in it. will the e brake cables on the dana 35 work or do i need to get diffenent ones for this swap?
thanks

... I hope you're gonna put the 8.25 in the other jeep and make it into a wheeling rig or something. Otherwise I can't see much justification in doing this...

you need to use the e-brake cables that came with the XJs. they will not transfer over. the 89 will need the 89 brake cables. the 97's are totally different lengths and need to stay on the 97.

you need to use the e-brake cables that came with the XJs. they will not transfer over. the 89 will need the 89 brake cables. the 97's are totally different lengths and need to stay on the 97.

Not true if you are going from a drum brake to drum brake axle swap. I swapped out a C8.25 from my '98, and swapped in an '89 D44 axle. The stock 98 ebrake cables fit just fine.......

yeah you reused your 98 cables on your 98. my point exactlty. sorry if i worded it weird. thats what i meant. use the cables for the vehicle the axle is going into, not the one it came out of.

yeah you reused your 98 cables on your 98. my point exactlty. sorry if i worded it weird. thats what i meant. use the cables for the vehicle the axle is going into, not the one it came out of.

Re-read again... I used '98 cables on an '89 axle.

yeah i know. i got it. but it went on your 98 XJ, i did this same swap, just in reverse. you couldnt use 89 e-brake cables on a 98, they wont fit the XJ, but they will swap between axles no problem. we are both right. just poor communication and misunderstandings.

Last edited:
just to mess you both up:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

I used 2 passenger side cables off an YJ. I first had them on my D35 then reused them on my 29 spline(97+) 8.25 and this is on my 89. I am at 5.5" lift and have plenty of cable left when flexed, just to give you an idea of there length. At 3" lift the stock cables were being stretched out while flexing.

Here is the link I used when I did mine.
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xjhoseext02/

I am swapping in a dana 35 out of a 89 xj into my 97 sport with a C 8.25 in it. will the e brake cables on the dana 35 work or do i need to get diffenent ones for this swap?
thanks

No. The ebrake cables on that D35 your getting will not work on your 97 body style. The older style xj has a center mount ebrake connection ( two equal length cables) whereas the newer style has an off center connection point(one shorter and one longer cable) for its ebrake. Re use your old ones or get new ones.

Back