• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynomax tip angle; just looks wrong, can I bend it straight?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. Maybe it's my OCD kicking in, but I like to see exhaust tips
come out straight from the back. My new Dynomax cat-back tip
angles to the right and down about 30*. How hard is it to bend
the pipe so the tip exits straight?

Thanks,
ROE

If it's the kit with the stainless slash tip, it will look goofier rotated than angled to the passenger side. Mine rusted off before I got around to taking a torch and a lever to the tip. The replacement tailpipe, also a Walker brand but with a regular turndown, was angled inboard. It's getting a sawzall and the stainless tip bolted up without the sloppy Dynomax angles.

I was happy with my Dynomax kit originally, but have now had to replace every single piece. Not buying another.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I twisted it a bit in the muffler,
but it'll only go an inch or so without interferring with the shock.
Not enough to make much difference....

Hubs, sorry to hear the Dynomax dosen't last. Does anyone sell
a SS tailpipe separately?

harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse :)

Meh, it's life in the rustbelt, and buying cheap stuff. I don't know if salted roads are the norm for you; if not, you might never have the problems with the kit that I have had. A shop/buddy with a torch could probably straighten it in minutes for you, for the cost of a 12 pack. I'd try that first.

There was a shop in Maryland selling SS tailpipes on ebay; I believe Gradon on here was running one. Bare pipe, no hangers, IINM, so you might still wind up at the exhaust shop, which I normally try to avoid, except for torch work like above. I'll try to find the link for the pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-01-Jeep-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4840887c0f

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm using the 2.5" one from MBS--same as the ebay link--but I drove 40min to their shop in Pasadena so I could get that, a 2.25" tail for my brother's XJ(they have those as well), and a custom 2-o2 bung SS test pipe made. I cut off the hanger from the rusty old tail and tacked it onto the new SS one.

Last edited:
Hubs, thanks for the link. Nice pipe. At $130 I think I'll wait until mine
rusts out though, or until I destroy it by trying to bend it.:D
Maybe I'll wedge it between two trees and bend it with a 6 ft bar I
have. Main concern is denting up that cool SS tip....
(No shops nearby except a muffler shop that I try to avoid. Don't want
to spend more money than I have in the system to begin with...)

...... and a custom 2-o2 bung SS test pipe made.....
Great looking XJ Gradon. Mine could be it's twin if it's a 96; mine's also
green and 2 dr Sport, (with Ecco mags).

So does yours trigger a cat converter code with the test pipe installed?

Mine's a 96. It did not trigger a CEL and had a working o2 sensor(no sim needed, at least for the 96 obd2). I melted a 3mo old Magnaflow cat when I first installed the 24#ers in the stroker, so was determined not to make that mistake again until it was tuned correctly(2nd bung for wideband o2).

Last edited:
Back