• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynatrac Front Axle for 37's??

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
I know there is a thread in the Advanced Fab forum going about building an affordable (if there is such a thing) front axle to handle 37's. I wanted to check with those guys, (Crash, Goatman, Lincoln) and see what the concensus on the Dynatrac 60's was. I know you are looking @ 5-6 grand for one but other than cost what are the drawbacks to the Dynatrac axles, if any. If I had the budget for a Dynatrac, would that be a good direction to go. I have a HP44 in the front of my XJ and it has done well for me, I am at the point though that I want to go to 37's and have the reliability that I have enjoyed with the 35's and the Dana 44. Any thoughts on this out there??

Ben
2001 XJ

Dynatrac is always a good choice, as there assembly quality is usually very good. The trouble is, it is difficult to work with them on setting up custon suspension mounts. If you want OEM mounts, they will assemble them very well, anything else, they are usually unwilling to work with you.

A Pro-Rock with 5 or 6 lug outers set at 62 inches wide would be sweet, if you have the $$$$.

As far as the mounts, would you prefer to get them up higher to keep them away from the rocks, and to also help with the arm angles? I just talked to those guys at Dynatrac, they are looking at over $7000 for the Pro 60 complete with 35 spline outers, steering setup and an ARB. That can buy me several sets of spare axles, hubs, and u-joints!!?? Maybe it's overkill to go with the Pro 60 to just run 37's.

If you already have a HP44, you could put D60 outers on that for much cheaper than a whole Dynatrac axle. Since the hub/stub/joint are the weakpoints of a 44 with alloys you could probably get away with keeping your inners 30 spline, or you could put a 35 spline ARB in. No brackets to setup this way, the whole operation would be no more difficult than turning knuckles.

On 35's, I haven't broke the D44. I didn't want to go to 37's and deal with broken u-joints and hubs like the other guys have on this forum. Do I wheel as hard as those guys?? Probably not, but I find myself attempting more difficult obstacles every time I go out. Swapping axles on the trail isn't my idea of fun. Just want to build it right for the tire I want to run. Although after getting the quote from Dynatrac, a spare set of chromoly axles with high dollar u-joints and some spare Warn hubs is sounding mighty attractive right now.

That is how we run. In truth, a couple of spare hubs will keep you moving, as they really are the weak link in the 44.

Keep the high speed stuff at a semi-sane level, and the balljoints and wheel bearings will thank you. :D

Back