• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW and Steering Box Mounts

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I have been experiencing DW in a very odd way. First it was like the wheels were out of balance. So I balanced them without a change.

Of course this happens at around 45 to 60 MPH. The last trip on the road DWites big time. It has gotten progressively worse to the point I can't go over 40 MPH.

I did a search on here for DW and with the advice of checking movement, I did.
First let me state that the track bar is relatively new from KOR, so I know that was not a contributor. All the connections looked good as my SO rocked the wheel back and forth. Then I saw the movement.

It is between the steering box and the frame with a clicking noise with each change in the direction of the wheel. This is one of the few areas I have not had a need to take it apart.

I need to inspect further to diagnose. I am hoping the spacer is broken or the bolts are loose as opposed to the rail being fractured.

What is your experience of which it is likely to be?

I have searched on here without success in finding a description of the behavior of either.

Last edited:
Bolts are not loose and there is no visible break.

Could it be the control are bushings? is movement detectable with rocking the steering wheel in a stationary state?

There's a Jeep site out of Austrailia called ausoffroad that has a ton of XJ guys on it. They talk about this issue all the time. Seems the right hand drive vehicles had a recall for something like this. However, you can look at the sticky for this issue on that site. It may or may not help you, but it's worth a shot.

Back