• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duralast BWP-724 Water Pump

Not a problem on XJs but a failing fan clutch will often take a WP with it, and the reverse is also true.

I have seen WPs with failed bearings and yet the seals held.

If the belt is over tight that can/will likely lead to the premature failure of a belt driven accessory or idler.

Maybe its just a matter of the quality of WPs today and the use of cast alloy rather than cast iron.

On a DD I would consider 4-5 years as max for a WP.

i must be the fly in the ointment here. i have a 4.0L water pump on a yj that is a reman from a-1 cardone (pep-boys) that i put in in 2003. still going strong!

Not a problem on XJs but a failing fan clutch will often take a WP with it, and the reverse is also true.

I have seen WPs with failed bearings and yet the seals held.

If the belt is over tight that can/will likely lead to the premature failure of a belt driven accessory or idler.

Maybe its just a matter of the quality of WPs today and the use of cast alloy rather than cast iron.

On a DD I would consider 4-5 years as max for a WP.

And since the fan and fan clutch is not hanging off the XJ water pump and loading that water pump bearing, I am even more shocked at the short life I got out of this last one from AZone! And the casting on the short lived one says made in Japan.

Are you sure it was a NEW GMB? GMB has had some pretty good reviews and are from Japan IIRC.

Are you sure it was a NEW GMB? GMB has had some pretty good reviews and are from Japan IIRC.

Yes, I installed it two years ago when I did the head job, it was brand spanking new, and I never used rebuilt water pumps.

Crap, I just picked up a new GMB water pump from advance on Joe's advice from another thread. I was planning on installing it tonight. Hopefully Ecomike's experience was a fluke cause I think I'm going to stick with the GMB.

I don't recall having the choice between a normal or reverse rotation pump at the parts store. There were just different brands etc. Hopefully I picked up the right one. I just figured I'd compare it to the old one to make sure it would work.

I don't mean to derail the thread but... If I put some RTV on the water pump gasket and install it, will it hurt the gasket to fill the system and run the engine before it "sets"?

Doing an inspection today on my 87 jeep (not the 89 that is on its 2nd Duralast water pump), which got a new Duralast water pump 2 summers ago, I see a wobble in the pulley now at idle and I now have 1/32" of thrust movement in the shaft, so I am afraid this one is also about to give me trouble too. I am wondering if the pulley on my 87 is out of round, or not flat. There is no wobble visible at 2500 rpm, but is at 700 rpm, so it may just be the shaft thrust movement at idle giving me the wobble???? Thoughts? Looking for a source for a new pulley and pump now. Bosch from Rock auto is now at the top of my list!!! I am starting to think the reverse rotation is also called standard on our pumps!!!! LOL

Last edited:
I just got confirmation that Bosch 97082 water pump is ALSO reverse rotation!!!!! It is also the correct hub height for the XJ 4.0 engine!!! I have decided to order several of these Bosch water pumps and keep them on hand since I have 4 of these rigs/engines. They are very attractively priced, and claim to have much better bearings and hardened shafts. While I have gotten 1-2 years out of the AZ Duralast new pumps, and they have great warranties, and the last 2 are still working, I have replaced one way too soon and a second now looks like it is going bad on the other jeep in only about 7000 miles and 24 months, so I am loosing faith in them!!!!

Back