• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb question time(yay!)

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
When changing transmission fluid, is it 4 qts that I drain and fill or is it 9? Napa guys says I'm only going to need 4.5 since dumping the fluid from the TQ is really hard but the guys at jiffy's(I know I know lol) say they got a special tool to purge it all out. Now if I was to do this myself, am I only changing out 4.5 or 9? Trying to possibly save a buck but mainly just want to do it myself lol it'll give me a reason to do more lol

It's only going to get around 4 quarts out when you drain the pan. Basically, the torque converter will only drain about halfway (if that) and most of the fluid in the valve body and gear train won't come out either. Do a drain and fill of as much as you can get out (it'll be ~4 quarts every time) with every oil change for 3-4 cycles and you will be fine, in fact way better than 90% of XJ owners on the road.

Drain it, plug back in, fill it up till it reads full, run it for a minute or two and cycle through the gears, recheck level, add as required. Make sure it's on a level surface and in the proper gear (I forget if the dipstick says to check in park or neutral.)

Lube change places actually sometimes do have a machine to get all the fluid out - I'm very suspicious of the ones that go down the dipstick tube, back when I was a lube tech, we had a machine that inserted into a cooler line. It watched the flow rate of the old fluid coming out of the car and pumped in new fluid through the other line at the same rate automatically, you could set it to run till it had pumped in a certain quantity of new fluid. We usually set it for 15 quarts just to make sure we gave the customer a little bit of extra cycle time to flush out any crap that was in there. Like I said, I'm a little suspicious of the dipstick tube machines... mostly as I don't understand how they can actually prevent the old and new fluids from mixing as they work.

There is a lot of debate about whether ATF+4 is ok for the AW4, since it runs fine on Dex/Merc and that stuff is cheap I generally just get Dex/Merc and use it. That is, when I don't just convert the jeep to a manual...

Last edited:
Ya I had been reading a lot about using the mobile 1 ATF that works best because it has some of the old style ingredients that the aw4 loves but that was why I was curious because the mobile is $10 a bottle so I'm trying to see which is more cost affective and good for my transmission

AW4 is damn near bulletproof even with 75k mile fluid in it - I've killed two and I'm working on a third, but I do stupid shit to them and treat them like a wear item, so that's to be expected. Hell, I was unable to break my MJ's factory 2wd auto, even after beating on it like it owed me money for a year and ~40k miles, and it started with 207k and no maintenance done by anyone. Very few people have issues with them even with no maintenance. So put whatever Dex/Merc you want in there and be happy :)

AW4 is damn near bulletproof even with 75k mile fluid in it - I've killed two and I'm working on a third, but I do stupid shit to them and treat them like a wear item, so that's to be expected. Hell, I was unable to break my MJ's factory 2wd auto, even after beating on it like it owed me money for a year and ~40k miles, and it started with 207k and no maintenance done by anyone. Very few people have issues with them even with no maintenance. So put whatever Dex/Merc you want in there and be happy :)

This post is full of win lmao
I'm just trying to do what I can to make it last, since I'm making it a expedition rig I want to make sure everything is up to date and in great working order

Yes, by pulling the drain plug, you will only get 4 to 5 quarts out. There is a way a shade tree technician could get most of it out but that is not what you are trying to do just now, or do you? By replacing 4 quarts, you will good foe another 15,000 to 20,000+ miles.

Back