• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Oil Filters- Any real life benefit?

Big Red said:
I don't know about the 2 oil filters, but I run a oil filter magnet I got at Harbor Freight, it's said to get everything 2 microns and up. I'm also planning on running some Lucas oil additive. You know the one you see at Auto Zone, Kragens, etc where you can crank the little wheel and see how much better lubrication there is on the little pullies within the little display. I just added this to my dd 98' ZJ with 94K miles and plan to do the same on my 206K 91' XJ wheeler as well. The motor still runs like a champ and I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Troy

Everything ferromagnetic - which means particles of iron and steel. The magnet won't catch Babbitt metal (bearings) or bits of anything else - which is why I don't use one, instead opting for a quality filter.

While I'll drain every third oil change or so over a magnet, that's still not a fully reliable indicator - and I'd like to get a "filter can cutter" someday, so I can spot-check. Just haven't yet...

5-90

I am running an oil accumulator mounted in the space your filters occupy when the hood is closed. I have wanted to mount a remote filter mount for ease of oil filter changes. Maybe I will build an air intake and put it where the factory airbox is now. But then where would I put a second battery?..?

jeeperjohn said:
I am running an oil accumulator mounted in the space your filters occupy when the hood is closed. I have wanted to mount a remote filter mount for ease of oil filter changes. Maybe I will build an air intake and put it where the factory airbox is now. But then where would I put a second battery?..?

Remove you windshield fluid reservoir and free up some space there. Clean windshields are over rated anyway! :D

I ran a remote oil filter once. A hose burst and lost the motor. Make sure you use good steel braded hoses, not the cheap ones that come with the kit.

If you want real benefit from an oil filter, stay stock and add a blood filter. 3M makes a cartridge/canister type blood filter that will out perform any oil filter ever made. "T" your oil pressure sender and run a line to the canister and back to a return port. After your second oil change and the gunk is out of the system, you will swear the oil looks like new after 3,000 miles. I'll look for the 3M part number for the filter and the mfr. of the canister it fits and post here.

Back