• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual alternators

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible? Wondering in case you didnt want to get one high powered one, and just run like 2 stockers.......
If it is possible, how hard/ where would it be?

FYI, I tried a search, but it wont allow "2 term" searches.......

Check out www.mobiweld.com (I think) - I seem to recall they had dual-alternator setups intended for powering a welder control box for trail repairs - no reason you couldn't skip the control box and just run the second alternator.

Problem is, you'll probably have to sacrifice something (likely Aircon/OBA) to fit another alternator anywhere under the XJ hood, unless you are REAL creative! Far easier to sub a high-output unit than add a second...

Not impossible, mind, just difficult.

5-90

cool, thats what i was thinking. Taking out the aircon and puting it there. My A/C dont work anyways.
I was reading some previous posts about not needing a/c or anything to run defrost (if i remember correctly) you dont need it. So i was gonna junk the aircon along with the controls inside the cab. This frees up space in the dash and allows for the second alt to power more crap (lights, fans.........). While Ga does have its hot summers accasionally, I can live without A/C. I prefer the poor mans a/c anyways.....55 with the windows down!

JMHO here but......

I'd rather have the high output alt and keep the comp. for on board air. My .02

The HO alt is already on its way (supposedly). I wasjust currious as to the possibility/difficulty factors.
BTW, when you convert the aircon to OBA, will it give enough psi to power pretty much all air tools sufficiently?

I drive a tow truck with oba from the a/c comp. With a preasure switch, it keeps it @ 120 psi. I have used air tools with it, it seams to have no trouble at all. We have another truck with oba from a 12 volt comp. It's not realy good for anything besides tires. If you want oba, go with your old a/c comp.

Dual alt. is definitely not worth the effort. You can get a Mean Green, Power Master or have yours rebuilt to handle winch, lights, stereo, etc. And if you really need tons of power then with some modifications you can probably fit a cs144 with dual rectifier and 200+ amps and weldable.

OBA from the compressor is definetly worth the small amount of work to set it up and with an airtank you can run tools.

Michael

imma honky said:
The HO alt is already on its way (supposedly). I wasjust currious as to the possibility/difficulty factors.
BTW, when you convert the aircon to OBA, will it give enough psi to power pretty much all air tools sufficiently?

I realize everyone doesnt read every post, but on another thread some will know ive already ordered the cs144 170 amp. Its due any day now. Thanks for the input, and i think i will stick with the aircon -> OBA. It was just an "idea." It may not be feasable for most people, but for someone who cant afford a new alt, you could easily pick up a used one from the j-yard for qhat I was hoping could be a quick n easy power (elect) boost.

I have read almost every post recently about alt. because mine just went dead. It is in the shop being rebuilt as we speek.

I was very interested in putting in a CS144 but could not confirm that anyone had fit one without some modifications.

The one that I look at looked like it "might" fit as long as you modified the lower support bracket to fit the new case.

I am very curiouse to see how it works for you, please let us know how much modification and such so that we have that experience in the future. There was one other person that I found had purchased one, but there was no feedback afterwards about fit issues.

Michael

Back